University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Welcome to the University of Reading

The Human Resources Department would like to welcome you to the University of Reading. We understand for some it can be a daunting experience joining a new employer and for others it can be an exciting one. But have no fear, we're here to help you with a smooth transition to the University and to assist you with understanding your new environment.

You will have by now received your onboarding documents on our recruitment system, with three very important forms that we need you to complete.

The below forms need to be completed in order to pay you correctly and on time and also to enable our colleagues in IT Services to set up your email account.

Pre-Employment Health Screening

The purpose of the health assessment questionnaire is to see whether you have any health problems that could affect your ability to undertake the duties of the post you have been offered or place you at any risk in the workplace. 

The Health Assessment Questionnaire should be completed and returned before your start date to the University's Occupational Health Service by email to or by post to Occupational Health Services, Room 117a, J J Thompson Building, Whiteknights, PO Box 220, Reading, RG6 6AF.

Things to do before you start at the University

In addition to the acceptance, payroll forms and health questionnaire above you should complete the following documentation.

All these forms should be sent back to HR Operations with your acceptance and payroll forms.


Higher Education Statistics Agency questionnaire -

Every year, the University is required to submit data about the staff it employs to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Complete the questionnaire above to ensure we have the data we need about your employment.

HESA is in place to undertake data collection and analysis about higher education in order to make possible a consistent information provision about higher education throughout the UK, and to enable the universities and colleges and the Funding Councils to meet their obligations under relevant legislation. The formal responsibility for the provision of information to Ministers rests with the Funding Councils, who have agreed to engage HESA as their agent for this purpose.

The confidentiality of the information provided will be safeguarded. This information will be held in accordance with the provisions laid down in the Data Protection Act 1998. This Act ensures that all data held on computer is obtained fairly and lawfully, held only for the purposes specified in our register entry, used or disclosed only in accordance with that entry.

Academic staff only who have Fellowship status with the HEA should also log into the HEA website to update their institution to the University of Reading HEA Academy

Useful information before you start

Useful information before you start

How do I get my payslip at the University?

The University of Reading, do not produce paper payslips for it's employees. Therefore, in your first week, you will need to log into Self Service (ESS) and select Payroll from the menu and opt to receive your payslips via email.

Research Staff

If you are starting a research contract at the University please go to the Research page.

Travelling to the University

There are a number of different ways to get to the University including a very regular bus service from Reading Station and town centre, but for staff who need to drive there are a limited number of parking spaces available across the University's campuses. To park on campus you will need to have a valid parking permit.

Staff vehicle entry permit

If you are intending to drive to work and park on the University campus, you will need to complete the Staff Vehicle Entry Permit form. For further information in relation to parking at the University, visit Staff Parking page on the University internet.

Central Induction

All new staff are encouraged to attend a Central Induction workshop on the closest date after starting employment. The session, provides an introduction to the University through interactive discussions, group work and also an opportunity to get to know other new starters, building your network.

Recruitment and selection interview panels

Only those who are trained in University policies and procedures will be able to participate in staff selection panels. If you need to attend the training, please complete the training here.

Information on Grants and Contracts

If you are going to be holding an Academic post at the University, please provide all details of any grants and contracts you currently hold on this form.

Employee Assistance Programme

The University provides a comprehensive range of support services to staff through EmployeeCare, an independent Employee Assistance Programme. Further information is available on the Employee Assistance Programme

Do you need a bank account in the UK?

The bank sometimes requires a letter confirming your employment details when creating a bank account. If you need a letter please email and one will be be done and emailed back to you. Should you require it the original will be available for picking up at HR Reception during our opening hours. 

Additional information you should read

When starting a new job, there is much to take in, so we have made it a little easier for you to know what you need to read now and what information you can read at your leisure.

Information to Read now!

Information you might be interested in!

Contact us

If you have any questions before or after you start, we are here for you. Just send us an email at

In the meantime, we wish you all the best in your new career with us here at the University of Reading.

Don't forget - HR Operations are here to help with your transition.