University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Immigration and Visas (including Visitors)

New rules on how the UK and EU live, work and trade together came into effect on 1 January 2021.  A new UK points-based immigration system hasnow been introduced, which includes a new Skilled Worker Visa, to replace the previous Tier 2 visa.

Under the new system, EU and Non-EU citizens will be treated equally and anyone wishing to live and work in the UK will require a visa to do so. This excludes Irish citizens who can continue to live and work in the UK without restriction due to Ireland being part of the Common Travel Area.

The new visa scheme does not apply to EU citizens who were living in the UK before 31st December 2020. They and their family continue to be eligible to apply to the  EU Settlement Scheme, which will allow them and their dependents to remain living and working in the UK after 30th June 2021. The scheme is free to apply and the deadline for applying is 30th June 2021.

If you are making an application for settled status and do not have access to a compatible device, our HR Office can help you.  Please email us on to make an appointment to use our device

We are in the process of updating relevant policies and procedures as more information is released.

Employment and Workers

The immigration system used by the Home Office to determine overseas applicants' rights to enter and work in the UK is called the Points-Based System, with several routes available.  The visa routes most relevant to the University are detailed below:

Skilled Worker Route

Applicants for the Skilled Worker route must meet the following mandatory criteria:

  • have a job offer from a licensed sponsor
  • The job must be at or above the minimum skill level: RQF3 level or equivalent
  • Speak English to an acceptable standard

Meeting the mandatory criteria above will earn the applicant 50 points. The applicant must then obtain a further 20 “tradeable” points through a combination of points for their offered salary, a job in a shortage occupation or a relevant PhD.

More detailed information and eligibility criteria can be found here – Skilled Worker visa - GOV.UK (


The University has a licence to issue Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS) for individuals wishing to apply under the Skilled Worker route. CoS applications are issued by the HR Operations team.  Hiring Managers should discuss the options with their HR Coordinator, prior to the recruitment process, as there are a number of eligibility requirements that must be met.

Student Route

Applicants for a Student visa to study in the UK must be 16 or over and :

  • have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
  • have enough money to support themselves and pay for the course
  • can speak, read, write and understand English

More detailed information and eligibility criteria can be found here - Student visa - GOV.UK (


Applications under the Student Route will be processed by the University's Student Immigration team -

If you are a worker on a Student visa, please visit our Campus Jobs Pages where you will find Student Working Restrictions

Global Talent Route

The Global Talent visa will allow senior academics or leaders in one of the following fields to work in the UK:

  • academia or research
  • arts and culture
  • digital technology

Applicants for a Global Talent visa must successfully apply for an endorsement to prove that they are a leader or potential leader.

More detailed information and eligibility criteria can be found here: Global Talent visa - GOV.UK (


Graduate Route

Applicants who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above in the UK, will be able to apply for a Graduate visa to stay and work, or look for work, for a maximum period of 2 years (3 years for PhD students) following their studies.

The Graduate visa will open in summer 2021.  More information about this route will be published when available.



The University regularly welcomes visitors from around the world who undertake various activities at the University. These may include giving one off lectures, attending meetings, acting as examiners, sharing knowledge, or collaborating on projects.

Standard Visitor, Permitted Paid Engagement and Tier 5

All visits must be authorised by Head of School/Function using the Visitor Request Form

Full guidance on Visitors to the University can be found in the Visitor Policy


Standard Visitor

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK:

  • for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends
  • for business, or to take part in sports or creative events
  • for another reason, for example to receive private medical treatment

More information and eligibility criteria can be found here - Standard Visitor (UKVI).

Please ensure you also read the Standard Visitor guidance found in the University Visitor Policy.

NB. This visa route does not permit visitors to receive funding for their work or activities in the UK from any UK source (payments of expenses, including travel and subsistence may be disregarded, but should be reasonable and justifiable). Travel, maintenance and accommodation may be provided by a third party.

Permitted Paid Engagement

You may be able to get a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you've been invited to the UK as an expert in your profession.

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

  • are invited by a UK-based organisation or client
  • want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
  • are from a country that's not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

More information and eligibility criteria can be found here - PPE (UKVI)

Please ensure you also read the PPE guidance found in the University Visitor Policy.

Any payment must be made using the PPE Form

Tier 5 Sponsored Researcher

You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa if you:

The University has a licence to issue Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS) under the Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange category for sponsored researchers. Applications under this category are processed through the HR Operations team.

More information and eligibility criteria can be found here - Tier 5 Sponsored Researcher route

Please ensure you also read the Tier 5 guidance found in the University Visitor Policy.

NB. No payment will be made to Sponsored Researchers by the University. The researcher may be funded by their host, their overseas employer, or an independent UK or non-UK funding body. The researcher cannot be self-funded and must be in receipt of funding in line with, or above, the National Minimum Wage.


In addition to the visa information above, there are HMRC obligations you must adhere to when engaging a Visitor. For more information, please contact