Our webinars, virtual taster sessions and online courses give you the chance to explore studying your chosen subject at university-level from the comfort of your own home.
Preparing for university webinars (UK students)
If you cannot attend the live session but would still like to hear the presentation, please sign up and we will send you a recording of the session.
As the new academic year begins we are excited to invite you to our webinars and podcasts.
- virtual open days
- Scholars programme
- virtual taster days
- online courses.
Information and guidance sessions:
- Choosing a University and a Course - 16 September, 10:30
- The UCAS Application - 23 September, 10:30
- Attending a Virtual Open Day - 30 September, 10:30
- Personal Statement Tips - 7 October, 10:30
- After I Click ‘Submit’ on UCAS - 14 October, 10:30
- Living Away at University - 21 October, 10:30
"Things I wish I had known about…" Podcast sessions
Every week we talk informally about the things we wish we could go back and tell our former selves when taking the next step to university.
- Applying to University – 16 September
- UCAS and Careers Fairs – 23 September
- Attending Open Days – 30 September
- Improving My University Application – 7 October
- What Else There Is To Do At University – 14 October
- Moving into Halls – 21 October
"Chatting with…" Podcast sessions
Every week we chat with a guest student about what university is really like. Each student will talk openly and honestly about what they think about life at university, including what their days look like, any worries they had before starting university and some tips on how to settle in and make the most of your time.
- 16 September – Chatting with… Zaid and Temi (Business; Spanish and Economics)
- 23 September – Chatting with… Lania and Sara (Speech and Language Therapy; Pharmacy
- 30 September – Chatting with… Charlie and Aran (English Literature and Politics; English Literature and Film)
- 7 October – Chatting with… Katie and Jalisa (Law)
- 14 October – Chatting with… Anna and Constance (Geography; Ancient History and Archaeology)
- 21 October – Chatting with… Lilian and Zoe (Psychology; Biological Sciences)
Alternative Routes to Higher Education sessions
I really enjoyed the pre-virtual open day webinar about how to prepare. It was very useful, and it allowed me to develop a list of questions for the open day that I knew I wanted to find out about!
Subject spotlight webinars
Join one of our hour-long subject webinar series and focus on a subject area you would like to study at the University of Reading.
Academics and/or students will talk about the University and what it's like to study their subject at degree level. The talks typically last between 20-40 minutes with the opportunity for 20 minutes of Q&A at the end.
We are currently confirming dates for the next set of subject webinars for the Autumn term and which should appear here soon. In the meantime, watch our recorded sessions to gain an insight into what studying that subject may involve:
- Subject spotlight on Accounting
- Subject spotlight on English Language
- Subject spotlight on English Literature
- Top tips for making successful applications to the Flying Start Programme with PwC
Register your interest and we will email you with details of upcoming sessions in your subject area of interest.
Parents and supporters
We recognise that as a parent or supporter of a young person going to University you will have lots of questions yourself about how the process works and how best to support your young person. Throughout the Autumn term we will be providing a series of webinars specifically for Parents and Supporters. In order to be kept informed about when these events are taking place and other usual information about the University process please sign up to receive our Parents and Supporters newsletter.
Virtual 1-2-1 Meetings (International Students)
In response to the global pandemic, the international recruitment team is pleased to offer international and EU students the opportunity to book a virtual 1-2-1 with a regional specialist.
What you can expect during your 1-2-1 session:
- information about your chosen academic programme, whether this be foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate
- advice on our application process and what you'll need to prepare to apply
- any further information you need about accommodation and life at Reading.
Our free-of-charge virtual events allow you to sample lectures and practical sessions, work alongside other students interested in the same subject, meet our enthusiastic staff, and get a real feel for life at the University of Reading.
We are currently finalising our Autumn term program of virtual subject taster sessions, which will appear here soon. Please do register your interest and we will let you know when any new ones are added to your areas of interest.
“Very friendly presenters, all questions answered honestly and in full. Possibly one of the most helpful webinars I've attended to date!”
General webinars (International students)
Our international team deliver a series of short webinars throughout the year to help international students prepare to study in the UK.
Topics covered include UCAS and applying, visas & immigration, accommodation and support for international students. All webinars include a live Q&A session.
If you are unable to attend one of our live sessions or webinars, please listen to our recorded sessions discussing some of the key university topics.
Free online courses
We have developed a wide range of free online courses which allow you to explore an exciting choice of topics in your own time.
- Live Smart: Your Essential Guide to Living at University
- University Smart: A Parent and Supporter’s Guide to University Entry
- A Level Study Boost: Unseen Poetry and the Creative Process
- Guides to Writing in English for University Study
- Range of subject specific topics from Robotics to Heart Health
Meet us at a virtual event
We regularly attend events across the UK and all over the world, giving you the opportunity to find out more about the University and our courses. Although it is not currently possible to meet us in person, we are attending a number of virtual events so that you can still get the information you need.