Our webinars, virtual taster sessions and online courses give you the chance to explore studying your chosen subject at university-level from the comfort of your own home.
PREPARING FOR UNIVERSITY SESSIONS (UK STUDENTS)
Our live sessions give you a great opportunity to hear from our staff and students on different aspects of choosing and applying to university. If you cannot attend our live webinars but would still like to hear the presentation, please sign up and we will send you a recording of the session.
If you are a teacher or adviser looking for a talk or workshop specifically for your school/college, please contact email@example.com or see our Activities for schools pages for more information.
- Preparing for your higher education journey: What to expect at university – 18:00-19.00 on Thursday 21 January 2021 (with eight universities)
- Submitting your application and what happens next? – 16:30 on Wednesday 13 January 2021
- Options after 6th form – 16:30 on Wednesday 27 January 2021
- Options when choosing universities – 18.00-19.00 on Thursday 28 January 2021 (with five universities)
- From College to Uni - BTEC Study Skill – 14.00 on Tuesday 2 2021
- Student Finance (UK Students) – 16:30 on Wednesday 10 February 2021
- Choosing a university - a student perspective – 18.00-19.00 on Thursday 11 February 2021 (with six universities)
- What to expect from a visit day? – 16:30 on Wednesday 17 February 2021
- Choosing a university and a course – 16:30 on Wednesday 24 February 2021
- From 5 to 2 – How to pick your firm and insurance choices – 16:30 on Wednesday 10 March 2021
- Interview Tips - 16:30 on Wednesday 17 March 2021
- Student life at the University of Reading – 16:30 on Wednesday 24 March 2021
- Choosing your accommodation – 16:30 on Wednesday 21 April 2021
- An introduction to the UCAS application process – 16:30 on Wednesday 5 May 2021
"Things I wish I had known…" podcast
In this show we talk informally about the things we wish we could go back and tell our former selves when taking the next step to university. New episodes updated regularly.
- Check out our show on Spotify.
I really enjoyed the pre-virtual open day webinar about how to prepare. It was very useful, and it allowed me to develop a list of questions for the open day that I knew I wanted to find out about!
Parents and supporters
We recognise that as a parent or supporter of a young person going to university you will have lots of questions about how the process works and how best to support your young person. Throughout the Spring term we will be providing a series of webinars specifically for parents and supporters, details of which can be found below. If you would like to be kept informed about when these events are taking place and other information about the University process please sign up to receive our Parents and Supporters newsletter.
- What happens after your young person submits their UCAS application? - 18:00 on Tuesday 26 January 2021
- How student finance works – 18:00 on Tuesday 2 March 2021
- Responding to UCAS offers – 18:00 on Tuesday 30 March 2021
- UCAS exhibitions – 18:00 on Tuesday 27 April 2021
- Attending a virtual open day – 18:00 on Tuesday 25 May 2021
- Types of accommodation – 18:00 on Tuesday 29 June 2021
- How clearing works – 18:00 on 27 July 2021
Virtual 1-2-1 meetings (UK students)
If you are looking to apply for 2021 entry and need some advice, the UK Recruitment and Outreach team are here to help. Our virtual 1-2-1 meetings give you the opportunity to chat with a member of staff and ask any questions you might have about the University of Reading and our courses, or the application process in general.
Your meeting can take place via video call, phone call, or live chat and you are welcome to attend alongside a parent/supporter if you would like.
Virtual 1-2-1 Meetings (International Students)
In response to the global pandemic, the international recruitment team is pleased to offer international and EU students the opportunity to book a virtual 1-2-1 with a regional specialist.
What you can expect during your 1-2-1 session:
- information about your chosen academic programme, whether this be foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate
- advice on our application process and what you'll need to prepare to apply
- any further information you need about accommodation and life at Reading.
Our virtual taster events allow you to sample lectures and practical sessions, work alongside other students interested in the same subject, meet our enthusiastic staff and current students, and get a real feel for life at the University of Reading. We also run a range of one-hour long subject webinars which will give you a taste of what it’s like to study that subject at degree level with plenty of opportunities for questions.
For more details and to book a place on one of our upcoming sessions, see our subject taster pages.
Online Live Chat with Current Students
In our live chat sessions, our student ambassadors will be on hand to answer your questions and share their experiences, hints and tips on studying and living at the University of Reading. Our sessions are themed and relate to different aspects of applying to, or studying and life at the University.
- Ask a student anything about budgeting and money at university Thursday 10 December 16:00
“Very friendly presenters, all questions answered honestly and in full. Possibly one of the most helpful webinars I've attended to date!”
General webinars (International students)
Our international team deliver a series of short webinars throughout the year to help international students prepare to study in the UK.
Topics covered include UCAS and applying, visas & immigration, accommodation and support for international students. All webinars include a live Q&A session.
If you are unable to attend one of our live sessions or webinars, please listen to our recorded sessions discussing some of the key university topics.
Free online courses
We have developed a wide range of free online courses which allow you to explore an exciting choice of topics in your own time.
- Live Smart: Your Essential Guide to Living at University
- University Smart: A Parent and Supporter’s Guide to University Entry
- A Level Study Boost: Unseen Poetry and the Creative Process
- Guides to Writing in English for University Study
- Range of subject specific topics from Robotics to Heart Health
Meet us at a virtual event
We regularly attend events across the UK and all over the world, giving you the opportunity to find out more about the University and our courses. Although it is not currently possible to meet us in person, we are attending a number of virtual events so that you can still get the information you need.