MSc Communication for Development
Develop the knowledge and skills to support positive change through communication with our MSc Communication for Development master’s degree.
Rapid changes in the global communication landscape – changing technologies, communication processes and communication opportunities – offer new ways to understand and improve how we can use communication to address livelihoods, reduce poverty, and develop communities.
Through this programme, you’ll develop your understanding of how communication can support individual and social change and lead to more effective and dynamic development policy and programmes.
The practical application of communication in development is diverse, including areas such as:
- extension and advisory service
- communication and climate change risk reduction
- communicating about health challenges
- facilitating driving and enabling change.
The MSc Communication for Development programme is particularly relevant for:
- professionals who have, or are seeking, extension responsibilities
- media professionals who would like to work in development communication
- individuals working with communities on livelihoods and agricultural development projects
- people working in the community health sector
- people with broad experience in development looking for a focus on communication
- those intending to go on to a research degree in communication for development.
Choose MSc Communication for Development at the University of Reading
- join the highest-ranking UK university for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 - Agriculture & Forestry). We’re ranked 11th in the world, and are the only UK university in the top 50.
- build a critical understanding of communication for development theory and practise in the diverse contexts of international and local development.
- strengthen your professional competence in the design, planning and management of communication interventions.
- focus on practical application of new knowledge and skills to support communication in social change.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining the Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics in our School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Your learning environment
You’ll learn from academics who are conducting world-class research within global development as well as applied economics and marketing.
Current research, policy and practise examples are used throughout the course and many modules include external seminar speakers. There is also a series of department and research division talks and events.
You will choose from a diverse range of modules that aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to have an impact and be part of global change, and you can choose to undertake an optional placement during the summer term, as well.
Class sizes vary by module, but emphasis is always placed on good contact with lecturers.
Learning occurs across a variety of:
- interactive learning methods
- participation in the classroom: debates, discussions
- field trips.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc Communication for Development student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.