BA Politics and Economics with a Placement Year
Develop a deep understanding of the political and economic issues that shape our world, and gain professional experience, with our BA Politics and Economics with Placement Year degree.
In politics, our wide range of core and optional modules will give you a strong foundation in topics such as:
- comparative government and politics
- political theory
- international relations
- contemporary democracy.
In economics, you will examine practical economic issues and, more widely, the relationship between economics and society, focusing on topics such as:
- economic institutions
- economics of social policy.
You will focus on how economic tools can be applied to different markets and situations, acquiring the skills, knowledge and understanding that will enable you to solve the problems that are challenging policy makers and businesses all over the world.
You will also analyse economic issues using a range of economic theories and methods, including the theory of games and strategic interactions, and natural and behavioural experiments.
Choose economics at the University of Reading
- Established for more than 50 years.
- 100% of our research impact has been classed ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ (REF 2021, combining 4* and 3* submissions – Business and Management Studies, and Anthropology and Development Studies).
- Ranked among the top 200 universities in the world for Economics (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023).
This course features an integrated professional placement between your second and last year of study, an opportunity to enhance your employability and build your network. We have a dedicated placement coordinator who can provide advice and support in your search for a placement.
Learn from active participants in the world of politics and economics
You will benefit from a learning environment driven by high-quality research:
- We are ranked 6th in the UK for research output in Politics and International Studies, with 97% of research output rated as ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (Times Higher Education analysis of the latest REF 2021 – Politics and International Studies, when scoring by GPA Output).
- In Economics, 100% of our research impact rated as ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (Research Excellence Framework [REF] 2021, combining 4* and 3* submissions – Business and Management Studies).
Our research has real-world applications and has informed policy decisions by governments, major multinational organisations, and agencies such as the UN and the World Bank. What you study throughout your degree will be aligned with our research clusters, keeping you up to date with the latest developments in economics.
Our academics regularly feature in academic literature and the media, offering their expertise on current issues and engaging in real-world politics. As such, our teaching is research-led and relevant.
In your final year, you can construct your own portfolio of specialist, research-led modules in both subjects and write a dissertation in either politics or economics.
Shape your degree with real-world modules
You will be able to bring your studies to life and relate to what is happening outside the classroom, with optional modules, such as:
- Model United Nations – Visit an overseas conference and take part in a simulation of the United Nations in action, engaging with students and academics from other universities across Europe and the UK.
- Media and Politics – Introduce yourself to key topics in the study of the media and media power and produce a politics radio show.
- Economics of Sport and Games – Study how the competitive and controlled environments within sport can provide laboratories to study human behaviour, test theories, and observe the impacts of policy.
- Public Economics – Assume the role of a government adviser and write policy briefs that address public policy issues.
As part of your degree, you can apply to study for a year or a term abroad at one of our partner universities in Australia, Canada, the USA, or across Europe.