BSc Medical Science with Professional Experience
Find out how we're adapting during COVID-19.
Train to work at the forefront of modern medicine with our BSc Medical Science with Professional Experience course.
Focus on the science that underpins medicine, and how medical science can lead to new ways of diagnosing and treating disease. This course covers topics such as biomedical laboratory research and frontline clinical care in order to improve patients’ lives.
This course includes a year of professional experience, built into your degree. It offers a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable, real-life experience and develop your skills and knowledge in clinical practice.
- industry-specific training. Designed in partnership with our local NHS partners to respond to career needs within the NHS, our course offers you the most relevant, practical content.
- teaching from medical experts. You will be taught by academics whose research is aimed at understanding disease mechanisms, improving diagnoses, developing new therapies and advancing clinical practice. Everyone who teaches you has on-the-ground experience.
- practical experience. Options to complete multiple small placements in primary and secondary healthcare settings, or healthcare industry, are built into your degree timetable.
Graduate well prepared to work in the NHS or a variety of other healthcare settings.
Your learning structure
Tailored pathway options allow you to specialise in topical, cutting edge areas of medical science:
- Diseases pathway: explore the genetic and physiological basis of major diseases and disorders and study how gene-environment interaction underpins disease. Example modules: Clinical Psychology, Bacteriology & Virology, infectious diseases.
- Medical Devices pathway: learn how modern technology is used to address previously insurmountable medical challenges. Example modules: Introduction to programming, Sensors & Transducers for Biomedical Engineering.
- Clinical and Medical Sciences pathway: investigate the complex causes of major diseases and global epidemics, and study the multidisciplinary approach to their containment, treatment and prevention. Example modules: Public Health & Nutrition, Medicines in Healthcare, Drug Targets.
Your professional experience year
Gain hands-on experience during a professional placement year in a clinical setting.
Our well-established network of clinical partners includes the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust, and others in the region.
These placements offer you excellent opportunities to gain practical experience, from the very first year of your degree.