BA Accounting and Management with Placement Experience
Combine two key areas of business – and gain valuable work experience – with our BA Accounting and Management with Placement Experience degree.
The University of Reading’s Henley Business School is ranked 19th in the UK for Accounting and Finance (Complete University Guide, 2022).
This multidisciplinary degree equips you with the fundamental concepts of the accounting disciplines, together with in-depth understanding of business management. You'll examine a range of issues from this dual perspective, exploring the interrelationships between both professions with an international emphasis.
Certain modules on this degree are accredited with professional bodies, including:
- the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
This means you may be able to apply course credit towards professional accountancy exams in the future.
A key feature of this degree is the opportunity to complete a one-year industry placement, between your second and final years of study, to further develop your knowledge, skills and experience. A successful industry placement could lead to a job offer with your placement company upon graduation, as well as providing plenty of opportunities to develop a professional network.
Our careers team will provide you with expert advice and guidance throughout the placement process – from choosing the right placement, to the application process, to supporting you during the placement itself. We also provide workshops covering all the main selection methods used by employers, such as:
- competency interview training
- CVs, cover letters and application forms
- drop-in clinics.
Past students had the opportunity to work their placements in large, multinational organisations across various industries including:
- Retail – Aldi, Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Waitrose
- Banking and financial services – Deloitte, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, PwC, Grant Thornton, KPMG, Morgan Stanley
- Automotive – BMW, Ford Motor Company, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan
- ICT and telecoms – Cisco Systems, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Symantec, Verizon, Fujitsu
- Transport – British Airways
- Manufacturing – 3M, Dyson, L’Oréal, Kimberley Clark, PepsiCo, Unilever
- Entertainment – Disney
- Pharmaceutical – GSK, Lilly
- Energy – GE
The accountancy element of this course will cover topics such as:
- financial reporting
- management accounting
- business finance.
You’ll also explore the broader subject of management through:
- organisational behaviour
- information systems
- human resource management
Building on the commercial and academic knowledge you’ll have acquired during your first year, a range of optional modules in your second and final years will allow you to tailor your degree to your areas of interest.
Our teaching and assessment approach
Henley Business School’s undergraduate degrees are taught through a mix of lectures, group projects and interactive classroom lessons, giving you the opportunity to discuss, explore and then apply the subject content in depth with both lecturers and fellow students. Through exploring and tackling real-world challenges, you will also develop key critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
Thanks to a varied range of assessment methods – including written assignments, in-class tests, group presentations and formal examinations – you’ll graduate as a well-rounded individual with transferable skills that are highly sought after by leading graduate employers.