MSc Agricultural Economics
Develop your understanding of economic concepts and policies that promote world agricultural development with our MSc Agriculture Economics master’s degree.
With an ever-increasing world population and growing pressure on the world’s finite resources, the analytical skills of agricultural economists are more relevant than ever.
Choose MSc Agriculture Economics at the University of Reading
- join the highest ranking UK university, and one of the top 20 universities in the world, for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2023). We are the only UK university ranked in the top 50.
- receive rigorous and stimulating training in agricultural economics.
- combine theory with applied material.
- develop a range of skills in econometrics, including cost-benefit analysis and modelling.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining the Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics, based in our School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Your learning environment
You will have the option to specialise in a development pathway that will provide you with an area of particular expertise within agricultural development economics. You can also choose from a diverse range of modules that aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to have an impact and be part of global change.
You can choose to undertake an optional placement during the summer term, as well.
Class sizes vary by module, but emphasis is always placed on good contact with lecturers.
Learning occurs across a variety of:
- interactive learning methods
- participation in the classroom: debates, discussions
- field trips.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc Agricultural Economics student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.