MA by Research Film, Theatre and Television
Find out how we're adapting during COVID-19.
Pursue flexible postgraduate research with our MA by Research Film, Theatre & Television.
This research-intensive master’s programme is designed for students who want to explore a specialised area of film, theatre or television.
The programme offers:
- Flexible structure. Tailor the programme to your personal interests and schedule.
- One-to-one supervision. Work with one of our Department’s world-class specialists.
- Independent and taught study. In addition to completing a dissertation or practical project, you will study two taught modules in the subject area of your choice.
The programme creates a direct route into PhD study, but it’s also suitable for those who want to specialise as theorists, critics, artists, archivists, or producers.
Your learning environment
Work alongside expert academics in the Department of Film, Theatre & Television, where 100% of our research was judged to be of international standing . You will have access to the Department’s:
- research projects and activities
- special collections
- technical facilities and purpose-built spaces in the state-of-the-art Minghella Studios.
Alongside your guided independent research and two taught modules, you will have the chance to further hone your skills through research training offered by our Graduate School.
You will also have a dedicated supervisor to oversee your dissertation or practical project in film, theatre or television.
Your taught modules will include a mix of seminars, tutorials, workshops with industry representatives, external visits and technical training.
Flexible study options for MA by Research Film, Theatre & Television students
You can study this programme full-time over one year, or part-time over two years.
You will also choose between two pathways:
- MA by Research in Film and Television
- MA by Research in Theatre
 Research Excellence Framework 2021, combining 4*, 3* and 2* submissions – Music, Drama, Dance, Performing Arts, Film and Screen Studies.