Our approach to teaching and learning produces graduates with in-depth academic knowledge and essential skills so that they can achieve their ambitions and fulfil their maximum potential.
We inspire our colleagues to explore innovative approaches in teaching, enhance support for learners, integrate technology enhanced learning and engage in professional development.
Awards celebrate Teaching and Learning excellence at Reading
Tuesday, 26 September 2017
Teaching and Learning staff of the highest calibre were recognised at a recent special event celebrating teaching excellence at Reading.
Each year, the Celebrating Teaching and Learning Success awards recognises the remarkable achievements of talented and committed colleagues who go above and beyond to enrich the student experience.
- Assessment and Feedback
- The Electronic Management of Assessment (EMA) Programme
- Curriculum Framework
- FLAIR (Facilitating Learning Achievement and Individual Recognition)
- Learning Gain
- TEL (Technology Enhanced Learning)
Read more about our current teaching and learning projects.
TEF Silver Award for University of Reading
The University of Reading has been awarded Silver in the national trial of the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The award is for delivering high quality teaching and learning coupled with excellent outcomes for our students, and for consistently exceeding the rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education. This award is valid for up to three years.
The TEF Panel was particularly complimentary of our work to support students to achieve excellent outcomes. “Very high proportions continue with their studies and progress to employment or further study, and to highly skilled employment,” the Panel notes in its statement of findings.
In December 2012 the University Board for Teaching and Learning approved the University's Teaching and Learning Strategy 2013-18. This outlines four key strategic priorities for the University:
- To engage students in research and enquiry in the curriculum
- To develop highly employable graduates
- To evolve our approaches to teaching and learning
- To continue to recruit, develop and value well qualified, professional academic staff
For more information, visit the University's teaching and learning strategy webpage
Teaching and Learning Deans
The University has six teaching and learning deans who work alongside the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning), Professor Gavin Brooks, and form the Teaching and Learning Executive Board. Together they provide strategic leadership and direction for all teaching and learning matters across the University.
- Dr Amanda Callaghan – responsible for Special Projects
- Professor Clare Furneaux – responsible for Student Experience
- Professor Roger Gibbard – responsible for International
- Dr Orla Kennedy – responsible for Student Achievement
- Professor Elizabeth McCrum – responsible for Engagement and Future Direction
- Dr Katja Strohfeldt-Venables – responsible for Quality
For information about our staff and their achievements, please read our people.
Centre for Quality Support and Development (CQSD)
- development and enhancement of teaching and learning
- quality assurance and the development of policies in relation to teaching and learning
- professional development for all staff involved in teaching and learning.
CQSD works in partnership with staff and the student community to inspire innovative and creative approaches to teaching and learning.
Read more about CQSD.
To find out more about teaching and learning at the University of Reading, please contact:
The Centre for Quality Support and Development (CQSD)
Telephone: +44 (0) 118 378 8097