BSc Food Science with Industrial Training
Develop the expertise to meet society's demand for safe and sustainable food products with our accredited BSc Food Science with Industrial Training degree.
Led by experts from the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, this four-year course contains an integrated industrial placement, and will equip you with a full understanding of food production processes.
You'll gain essential knowledge and skills in:
- food microbiology
- biochemistry and metabolism
- food processing and engineering
- product development
- human physiology and nutrition.
At Reading, you'll also develop key technical skills through laboratory-based practicals, sensory evaluation, and work in our pilot-scale food processing plant.
Become a food science specialist at the University of Reading
- Top ten UK university for Food Science (7th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024).
- 95% of our research impact is rated outstanding (Research Excellence Framework 2021, combining 4*, 3* and 2*submissions – Agriculture, Food and Veterinary Sciences).
- Our food science graduates have the second-highest median salary of such graduates six months after graduation (The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, based on analysis of 2017 graduate salaries).
- In the National Student Survey 2023, 100% of our students agreed our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things (100% of respondents studying in the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences).
A key component of this degree is a year-long professional placement, which occurs between your second and final year. Placements can help enhance your employability and build your network.
Previous students from the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences have undertaken placements with:
- Mars Food
- Marks & Spencer
Our dedicated placement coordinator will provide you with advice and support in finding your ideal placement. They will also advise you on CV writing and interview skills.
Learn more about professional placements with the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences.
Our BSc Food Science with Industrial Training course is accredited by the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST), the industry’s leading professional body.
Accreditation provides an assurance that your degree meets the standards expected by the food industry, helping you to stand out in a competitive job market. You'll also be recognised as a professional food scientist by the Institute of Food Science and Technology.
Teaching and research facilities
The University of Reading has one of the UK's largest Food and Nutritional Sciences departments, with extensive facilities that enable us to engage in diverse teaching and research.
- The Food Processing Centre is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the UK, with a floor space of 1100 square metres. The Centre contains processing equipment for food product development work, allowing you to simulate and recreate industry conditions.
- The Flavour Centre analyses the chemistry of flavour, which is crucial to developing successful new products.
- The Sensory Science Centre provides high-quality sensory evaluation data, offering valuable insight into how we perceive flavour, taste and texture in food.
- The Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition explores the relationship between diet and the risk of chronic disease.
Our research expertise feeds directly into the topics you will study throughout your degree, giving you access to the latest developments in food science.
Depending on the modules you choose, you will also have the opportunity to use our versatile facilities in your studies.