IT security breaches can be extremely costly in reputation, financial loss, lost business productivity and unavailability of IT services.
IT have a suite of technologies and measures to counter both internal and external cyber threats - but we all have a part to play in reducing the risk and impact of cyber-attacks.
- Choose strong passwords, and keep them safe.
- Beware of phishing scams.
- Keep software secure software secure with the latest security updates.
- Be mindful when using removeable media.
- Limit local admin rights and elevated privileges in your team to people who really need it.
- Keep your mobile device secure and up to date.
- Lock your computer screen while unattended. (Windows: Windows button + L. Mac: Control + Shift + Power or Command + control + Q)
- Immediately report any lost or stolen equipment.
- If you think your University account has been compromised, contact the IT Service Desk immediately on 6262.
IT Security Project
The IT Security Project is working to improve our protection from cyber threats. Many changes will not be visible to colleagues outside, but better security practices mean:
- local admin rights on a computer/laptop will be limited to those with a business need.
- unsupported software will be upgraded or removed.
- University Apple computers/handheld devices will be enrolled onto a central management system in line with Windows devices.
If you have a requirement to gain Cyber Essentials accreditation, please contact your IT Business Partner.
See the IMPS website for more on Date Protection and Data Security.
Simulated Phishing Emails - Khipu
The University has signed up to Khipu’s simulated phishing and awareness training service. Khipu will periodically send simulated phishing emails to University employees to see how they react upon receipt of a scam email. Doing so will help us to evaluate our security posture and identify key areas to help protect the University from future (genuine) attacks
- Cyber Essentials achieved for HBS
- First Apple devices to benefit from central management by the end of the year