BA Education Studies
Find out how we're adapting during COVID-19.
Engage in critical, current debates in education to develop skills for a wide range of educational careers with our BA Education Studies degree.
Our BA Education Studies degree deepens your understanding of the role and place of education in contemporary society, how people learn, and the range of disciplines that relate to the broad field of education.
It provides a solid foundation in the core discipline of education, as well as an understanding of the current debates and issues surrounding the subject.
Choose BA Education Studies at the University of Reading
- Our Institute of Education is ranked 10th in the UK for Education in The Guardian University Guide 2022.
- Assessment is 100% coursework-based.
- Tailor the degree to your academic and professional interests with our wide range of optional modules.
You'll develop your understanding of learning theories, inclusion, sociology, policy and practice, gaining the knowledge and skills needed to work collaboratively and confidently in a range of settings.
Taught by leading academics and researchers at the Institute of Education, you'll examine:
- educational debates, such as pedagogy, creativity in education, global education and learning theories (including play)
- topical issues including the impact of inclusive practice, the reality of social justice, and multicultural environments
- education in its creative, economic, philosophical, cultural, political and sociological contexts.
Deepen your understanding of how children and adults learn by:
- studying education, teaching and learning from different perspectives
- exploring a range of issues, from culture and learning environments to fundamental moral and social questions such as the links between health and learning.
You'll explore the history of education and investigate existing and future opportunities – and challenges – in educational practice. Alongside all of this, you will develop your academic and professional skills.
This flexible, full-time course allows you to balance your studies with other commitments, including the opportunity to gain work experience while studying.
You will gain professional expertise and experience in the education sector with a wide range of placement and volunteering opportunities, enabling you to make a positive impact and develop as an active, thoughtful citizen.
This degree blends theory with practice to offer you a well-rounded, comprehensive education. Some of this valuable, real-life practice is acquired through a four-week placement in your second year.
Depending on your career aspirations, a variety of placement settings – for example, in a school, museum or gallery – could be arranged. A dedicated academic tutor, as well as the programme team, will be there to support you and tailor your placement in line with your interests.
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check may be required, depending on the type of placement setting you choose.
What our BA Education Studies students say
- Jane Waters is a UK student who chose our BA Primary Education degree degree because it gives her the opportunity to study the impact of education in depth.
- Weitong Liu is an international student from China. She recommends taking full advantage of academic writing support.
- The Institute of Education received an 85% overall satisfaction score in the 2021 National Student Survey.