BSc Food Science with Foundation
Develop the expertise to meet society's demand for safe and sustainable food products, and develop core academic skills, with our accredited BSc Food Science with Foundation degree.
Please note that this course is now closed for 2023 applicants.
This four-year programme includes a foundation year that leads directly into the three-year course. It provides an excellent route to a degree in food science if you do not have the typical entry requirements.
The foundation year will provide you with the skills and knowledge to succeed at university. You’ll develop core skills in academic study, writing and research.
Your subject-specific studies will focus on basic principles in:
Your learning will be delivered through a combination of lectures, tutorials, practical classes and workshops.
A foundation year is more than just a stepping-stone to a degree. You will also benefit from:
- access to our full range of facilities and resources
- full integration into university life, before your degree year begins
- experience of an academic environment, and the ability to work independently
- specialist support and guidance.
What you’ll study with BSc Food Science
After successful completion of your foundation year, you’ll progress onto our three-year BSc Food Science degree. Led by experts from the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, this three-year course will equip you with a full understanding of food production processes.
You'll gain essential knowledge and skills in:
- food microbiology
- biochemistry and metabolism
- food processing and engineering
- product development
- human physiology and nutrition.
At Reading, you'll also develop key technical skills through laboratory-based practicals, sensory evaluation, and work in our pilot-scale food processing plant.
Become a food science specialist at the University of Reading
- Top ten UK university for Food Science (joint 5th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021).
- 85% of our research impact is rated outstanding (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Our food science graduates have the second-highest median salary of such graduates six months after graduation (The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, based on analysis of 2017 graduate salaries).
Our BSc Food Science course is accredited by the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST), the industry’s leading professional body.
Accreditation provides an assurance that your degree meets the standards expected by the food industry, helping you to stand out in a competitive job market. You'll also be recognised as a professional food scientist by the Institute of Food Science and Technology.
Teaching and research facilities
The University of Reading has one of the UK's largest Food and Nutritional Sciences departments, with extensive facilities that enable us to engage in diverse teaching and research.
- The Food Processing Centre is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the UK, with a floor space of 1100 square metres. The Centre contains processing equipment for food product development work, allowing you to simulate and recreate industry conditions.
- The Flavour Centre analyses the chemistry of flavour, which is crucial to developing successful new products.
- The Sensory Science Centre provides high-quality sensory evaluation data, offering valuable insight into how we perceive flavour, taste and texture in food.
- The Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition explores the relationship between diet and the risk of chronic disease.
Our research expertise feeds directly into the topics you will study throughout your degree, giving you access to the latest developments in food science.
Depending on the modules you choose, you will also have the opportunity to use our versatile facilities in your studies.
Industrial placements with BSc Food Science
Enhance your employability and build your network by applying for work placements during your degree. Opportunities include year-long and summer placements.
Previous students from the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences have undertaken placements with:
- Mars Food
- Marks & Spencer
Learn more about professional placements with the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences. Alternatively, you can opt for our four-year BSc Food Science with Industrial Training degree, which includes an integrated professional placement between your second and third year.