Setting up your new Surface laptop
There are a few steps you can take to smooth your transition to a new computer:
- Make sure you have backed up all your documents to OneDrive. If you haven't already set up OneDrive, instructions are on this page.
- Take a note of the applications that you use, together with login details if different to your University log in.
- Basic Office applications are pre-installed but specific applications are not. Apps Anywhere provides many of the applications that we use, but you may need to raise a ticket with the IT Service Desk for any specialist software you use.
- If you need to map network drives be sure to know the full path names. You will need to get this from your old device or a team-mate who has the same drives mapped.
Initial set up takes around 30 minutes, and you will need a stable internet connection. Do not set up without an Internet connection!
We have prepared a step by step guide to take you through the first steps to get your new computer up and running - Setting up your new Windows Device
In order to get your new device ready for you to work with, you may also need to:
- Map network drives
- Set up printing
- Connect your OneDrive
- Get software from Apps Anywhere
- Request other software
Page updated by lm920207 on 17/02/23
The Device Lifecycle team would be happy to give any member of staff who is experiencing problems with Surface set-up or configuration the opportunity for a 1-2-1 deskside support session.
Please complete this form on the Self Service Portal, and a member of the Device Lifecycle team will contact you to arrange a convenient time to visit you at your desk: