MMath Mathematics with a Placement Year
Develop master's level expertise in mathematics and gain valuable industry insight with our MMath Mathematics with a Placement Year course.
You'll follow the same curriculum as our BSc Mathematics course for the first three years, before undertaking a piece of advanced project work in your fourth year of study.
The depth and breadth of our MMath Mathematics with a Placement Year course allows you to extend your studies and further your knowledge in preparation for postgraduate research studies or employment. In your final year, you'll acquire master’s-level knowledge of applied and pure mathematics.
Choose MMath Mathematics with a Placement Year at the University of Reading
- Gain valuable industry insight with a paid year-long placement.
- Acquire specialist skills for a career as a research mathematician, whether in industry, academia or elsewhere.
- Our MMath Mathematics course is approved by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications to meet the educational requirements of Chartered Mathematician status.
- The University of Reading is in the top 100 in the world for Physical Sciences (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023, by Subject).
- 98% of our research is world leading or internationally excellent, and 100% of our research impact has been classed 'outstanding’ or ‘very considerable (REF 2021, combining 4* and 3* submissions – Mathematical Sciences).
This degree includes an integrated, year-long work placement between your second and third year.
We offer a variety of placements – in areas such as finance, statistics or modelling – to provide you with valuable experience and insight into industry.
Our dedicated placements officer can offer advice and support to find your ideal placement, as well as developing your CV and interview skills.
A supportive learning community
In the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, we are passionate about creating a friendly, inclusive learning environment.
You'll be taught by academics with a wealth of experience in industry, who are actively contributing to relevant research in a wide range of areas. Our real-world expertise will enhance your learning and understanding, keeping you updated with the latest developments in mathematics.
We aim to:
- deliver high-quality, interactive teaching
- collaborate with students to create an exceptional learning environment
- develop your knowledge and skills through varied teaching and assessment methods
- boost your confidence in mathematics and preparing you for employment.
In addition to regular contact time with your lecturers, you'll receive plenty of support, including:
- small group problem-solving tutorials
- materials to help you manage the transition to university-level mathematics.
You'll also be encouraged to join our department's Student Staff Partnership Group, enabling you to have a direct input into the student experience.
97% of students in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics said our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things (National Student Survey, 2023).
Hear from our Mathematics students
- Alice Winduss took full advantage of the opportunities available during her degree, including a work placement, using her skills to land a role working at the University of Reading.
- Sally Cockayne completed a placement as a student statistician at GSK, allowing her to gain valuable experience and helping her decide on a future career.
- Gwen Perry had a positive experience during her placement with Thames Water, supporting her aspirations in statistics.
As part of your degree, you could choose to spend two weeks, a semester, or an academic year abroad.
We'll help you to decide where to go and for how long, guide you through the application process, and support you while you're abroad.
To find out more about the benefits of studying abroad, and discover where you could go, please visit the Study Abroad website.