Find out about how we'll be delivering our courses in 2020.
Start date: September 2022
Explore key issues and challenges in finance for economic development in developing countries with our MSc Development Finance master’s degree.
You will examine the key issues in development finance, and conduct analysis of financial markets in emerging economies, financial sector reform, and policies and institutions, to promote financial inclusion.
Choose MSc Development Finance at the University of Reading
- join the highest-ranking UK university for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 - Agriculture & Forestry). We’re ranked 9th in the world, and are the only UK university in the top 50.
- explore key issues within the field of development finance and microenterprise finance, against the background of major perspectives on development and macroeconomic policy.
- investigate specialist areas within the financial services sector as well as other topics relating to development.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining our School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Your learning environment
You will choose from a diverse range of modules that aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to have an impact and be part of global change.
You can choose to undertake an optional placement during the summer term, as well.
Class sizes vary by module, but emphasis is always placed on good contact with lecturers.
Learning occurs across a variety of:
- interactive learning methods
- participation in the classroom: debates, discussions
- field trips.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc Development Finance student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.