Find out about how we'll be delivering our courses in 2020.
Start date: September 2021
The University of Reading is the highest-ranking UK University for Agriculture and Forestry and is ranked 9th in the world (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020- Agriculture & Forestry.) We are the only UK University in the top 50.
Rapid changes in the global communication landscape such as changing technologies, communication processes and communication opportunities offer new ways to understand and improve how we address livelihoods, poverty reduction, and community development.
Understanding how communication can support individual and social change can lead to more effective and dynamic development policy and programmes. The practical application of communication in development is diverse: it includes areas such as extension and advisory services, communication and climate change risk reduction, communicating about health challenges, the role of communication is important in facilitating driving and enabling change.
On this programme you will:
- build a critical understanding of communication for development theory in the diverse contexts of international and local development,
- strengthen professional competence in the design, planning and management of communication interventions,
- focus on practical application of new knowledge and skills to support communication in social change.
As a member of the School'sGraduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE), you will also have the option of undertaking a placement during the summer period.
The programme offers a critical analysis of theory and practise of development communication. It is particularly relevant for:
- professionals who have, or are seeking, extension responsibilities,
- media professionals who would like to work in development communication,
- individuals working with communities on livelihoods and agricultural development projects,
- people working in the community health sector,
- people with broad experience in development looking for a focus on communication,
- those intending to go on to a research degree in communication for development.
GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. For more information about the scholarships, bursaries and other sources of funding available, please visit the GIIDAE website.
To learn more about postgraduate study in the School, please see the GIIDAE brochure.