Start date: September 2022
Develop your research skills for agricultural economics and food economics with our MSc by Research Agricultural and Food Economics master’s degree.
During your studies you’ll develop applied economics and marketing skills – including quantitative and qualitative research techniques – and then apply them to a diverse range of contemporary farm, food and rural issues in both developed and developing country contexts.
Choose MSc by Research Agricultural and Food Economics at the University of Reading
- join the highest-ranking UK university for Agriculture and Forestry (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021 - Agriculture & Forestry). We’re ranked 12th in the world, and are the only UK university in the top 50.
- receive rigorous training in research methods, preparing you for a research career in academic and non-academic organisations, as well as doctoral studies in agricultural and food economics and marketing.
- choose from a diverse range of modules that aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to have an impact and be part of global change.
Joining this programme means you’ll also be joining our School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, where we are committed to empowering change through our teaching and research. Our academics tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues across their respective fields of expertise, and our mission is to make a difference in the context of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Your learning environment
Class sizes vary by module, but emphasis is always placed on good contact with lecturers.
Learning occurs across a variety of:
- interactive learning methods
- participation in the classroom: debates, discussions
- field trips.
You will also have opportunities for research, networking, and personal development, as well as access to modern study resources and employability support. We also offer study skills support that’s tailored to our School’s master’s students.
You can choose to undertake an optional placement during the summer term, as well.
The Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics
As an MSc by Research Agricultural and Food Economics student, you’ll be a member of the School’s Graduate Institute of International Development, Agriculture and Economics (GIIDAE).
GIIDAE attracts a diverse community of master’s students from more than 40 countries, and holds diversity, equality and high-quality teaching and learning as core values in its approach to education.
- GIIDAE has an active scholarship programme. Visit our dedicated scholarships webpage for more information about scholarships, bursaries, and other sources of funding.
- Visit the GIIDAE website for more information about the modules you can take during your degree.
- Download a copy of the GIIDAE brochure, which tells you more about postgraduate study in our School.