Start date: September 2022
Join the next generation of data scientists and meet the challenges of the Information Age with our MSc Data Science and Advanced Computing.
On this course, you’ll work with experts from the Department of Computer Science to develop in-depth knowledge of:
- data analysis and data-driven knowledge discovery
- cloud computing
- machine learning and artificial intelligence
This knowledge is vital. Computer science is driving our digital transformation; it is at the forefront of scientific discovery and the heart of economic growth. Utilising society’s wealth of data requires people who can blend research, technology and ingenuity.
Aimed at aspiring data scientists – the sought-after, high-ranking professionals of big data – this course is accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS), the Chartered Institute for IT. The degree has been designed for graduates of computer science and its related disciplines, as well as IT professionals and data analysts.
With the exponential growth of data being produced and the rise of automation in the workplace, our MSc Data Science and Advanced Computing course aims to meet the high demand for skilled data scientists and Artificial Intelligence (AI) specialists. The UK Government has identified AI and data as one of the ‘four grand challenges’ of global trends that will transform our future, making our graduates highly valued and sought-after.
Your studies will be supported by access to dedicated facilities, which include:
- a rich software catalogue, plus modern PC rooms with 120 workstations
- special-purpose hardware for embedded applications for VR headsets
- professional graphic cards
- a High-Performance Computing cluster for large-scale data processing.
Additionally, Reading has the fourth highest number of digital tech organisations in the UK, beaten only by London, Manchester and Brighton. Take advantage of this by making connections with like-minded industry people at local tech and developer meet-ups. You can raise your own professional profile while solving real-world problems and talking through the latest cutting-edge discoveries and innovations.
Our location also means you’ll be ideally placed to connect directly with some of the biggest companies in the industry. Several of these companies are actively involved in the development and review of this course. Companies currently participating in our Industrial Advisory Board include Nationwide, Oracle, Sony, Microsoft and IBM.
You will also have access to Reading’s specialist areas of computing research, including:
- Big data analytics. Applications include remotely sensed data analysis and interpretation, weather forecasting, and communication data stream analysis.
- Computational vision. Applications include visual surveillance, border control and security, machine learning for image and video-based prediction and classification.
- Cloud computing. Applications include data security and network security.