Law, Business, Computer Science up in world subject rankings
22 March 2023
The University of Reading continues to feature among the top universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023, published today (22 March 2023).
The University continues to be ranked Number 1 among UK institutions for Agriculture & Forestry, and improvements in subjects including Business, Law, Computer Science, and Biological Sciences contributing to an improved position across four out of five broader subject areas. Across all Arts and Humanities subjects, the University moves up to 109 in the world.
The University has increased the number of subjects listed in the top 200 in the world, from 14 last year to 16 in 2023.
Reading is also home to five subjects that feature in the global top 100 universities, and in the top ten in the UK. These include:
- 16 for Agriculture & Forestry (1 in the UK)
- 46 for Earth & Marine Sciences (joint 9 in the UK)
- 78 for Environmental Sciences (joint 10 in the UK)
- Top 100: for Archaeology (joint 9th in UK), and Architecture/Built Environment (joint 5th in UK)
Professor Robert Van de Noort, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Reading, said: “We are continuing to grow the number of subjects ranked in the global top 200 universities, and making strong progress in some of our core subject areas.
“This demonstrates our increasing global reputation for academic excellence, high quality teaching and research, and the employability of our students. It is also particularly pleasing that we continue to be number one in the UK for the study of Agriculture, a subject that is a huge part of more than a century of history at Reading, and very much a part of our future too.
“My thanks go to colleagues and students, across all subjects, for their hard work and dedication."
Other subjects featuring in the world's top 200 higher education institutions are:
- Accounting & Finance (joint 15 in the UK)
- Business & Management Studies (26 in the UK)
- Development Studies (joint 19 in the UK)
- English Language & Literature (joint 26 in the UK)
- Geography (joint 21 in the UK)
- Linguistics (joint 11 in the UK)
- Art & Design (joint 23 in the UK)
- Economics and Econometrics (joint 19 in the UK)
- Education (joint 22 in the UK)
- History (joint 25 in the UK)
- Psychology (joint 28 in the UK)
In addition to the subjects listed above, the following subjects are ranked in the top 30 in the UK: Biological Sciences (joint 30); Chemistry (joint 28); Modern Languages (joint 26); and Law (joint 29).
The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based on measures of academic reputation, the employability of graduates as rated by major employers, and citations for published research.
Find out more about the University of Reading’s placement in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.
Loading additional items please wait....