LGBT+ inclusion the focus of new University fund
13 February 2023
A new fund for practical projects supporting LGBT+ inclusion across the University of Reading has been launched.
The new scheme, announced during LGBT+ History Month 2023, will support small-scale projects (£300-£1,000) of all types, led by students and staff at the University, that aid understanding and practical help for LGBT+ communities.
The fund announcement comes as the University pauses its membership of Stonewall's workplace diversity schemes this year. This is due to concerns over the reporting process the charity uses to judge institutions on their equality progress and after consideration of how University resources are best used to bring about genuine change.
The University will continue to actively engage with Stonewall and be part of conversations on how to improve its processes. Read more about this decision on the Diversity & Inclusion blog.
Applying for the LGBT+ inclusion fund
Examples of how funding from the new scheme could be used include hosting LGBT+ inclusion-related events and covering costs for producing materials.
Applications are welcome from all colleagues and students across the University. Student-staff partnership projects are particularly welcome.
Applications must be made using the application form. Please complete this and email it to the central Diversity and Inclusion Team at firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Tuesday 28 February 2023.
The University expects to notify applicants of decisions on funding bids by March 2023. The decisions made by the panel are final. Feedback will be provided where possible.
Assessments will be based on the following principles:
- Relevance, specifically to School, Function or University.
- Link to School/Function aims, or the main University Diversity & Inclusion priorities.
- Potential and plan for longer term impact on wider University.
- Any allocated funds must be used by July 2023.
Promoting your projects
Please note that as a condition of the funding, we require some reporting back from you:
- A 1-2 page report received by the end of August 2023 that details: name of project and leaders and funding awarded; what has been done; what has been spent; what impact(s) there have been and any measurement of this; what follow-up plans there are, or plans for sustaining activities into the future.
- Where possible, 1-2 photos relevant to work you have done as part of the project that we might use in publicity, e.g. staff portal articles, twitter, together with a completed permission form if relevant. These should be high resolution.
- We would also welcome a blog piece to be published on the #DiverseReading blog which might be at the end of the project or part-way through.
The new funding scheme’s creation has been led by:
- Dr Allán Laville, (Dean for Diversity & Inclusion)
- Ceara Webster (Diversity and Inclusion Adviser)
- Jem McKenzie (RUSU Inclusion and Communities Officer)
- Dr Ruvi Ziegler (Chair of the LGBT+ Staff Network)
If you have any further queries, please email email@example.com, where a member of the central Diversity & Inclusion team can pick it up.