Celebrating teaching success at Reading
03 October 2023
This year’s Celebrating Teaching and Learning Success event was a reminder of the ‘spectacular’ range of innovative projects and the ‘breadth of talent, expertise and enthusiasm’ of University of Reading staff.
These were the reflections of Professor Peter Miskell (Pro-Vice-Chancellor), who was speaking after the annual event, hosted by the University's Centre for Quality Support and Development (CQSD) on 20 September.A number of national and CQSD-run award schemes are run every year to recognise the hard work and achievements of teaching staff, and Professor Miskell urged teaching and learning colleagues to apply for next year’s award schemes.
For more information about these schemes and the support available to applicants, visit the CQSD website.
Successes in 2023
As the University embarks on a new academic year, the T&L celebration event was a fantastic opportunity to recognise all the hard work that is put in to supporting our students and their learning.
It was also a chance to reflect on recent awards won by teaching colleagues:
- Professor Allan Laville (Vice-Chancellor's Office) and Professor Cindy Becker (School of Literature and Languages) were both awarded National Teaching Fellowships.
- Dr Elizabeth Houldsworth (Henley Business School), Daniela Standen (ISLI) and Professor Hong Yang (School of Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science) were all awarded University Teaching Fellowships.
- Three teams were awarded a University Collaborative Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching & Learning. These were:
- Creation and embedding of an Initial Teacher Education Curriculum Framework for Climate and Sustainability Education across the Institute of Education Programmes (led by Dr Jo Anna Reed Johnson from the IoE)
- Entangled Environments: Working with community gardens in Stage 1 architectural design (led by Amy Butt in the School of the Built Environment)
- Inclusion Consultant Scheme (led by Mathew Haine in Student Services)
Members of teaching staff with their award certificates presented at the Celebrating T&L Success event