Reading in the news - Fri 29 Jul
29 July 2022
Women’s sport: Dr Sarah Jewell (Economics) was interviewed by BBC World Service Radio on the coverage and economic value of women's sports as the England women’s football team prepare for the European Championships final this weekend. The interview also aired on numerous radio stations in the US.
Importance of daydreaming: The Daily Mail, Express Digest, Public News Time, News Groove, Today UK News, Express Informer, What's New 2 Day, News Break, and Big World Tale report on collaborative University research on the benefits and importance of letting your mind wander. Dr Kou Murayama (Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences) is quoted.
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- PhD student Chloe Brimicombe (Geography/Walker Institute) is quoted by New Scientist, Head Topics, and TVN on the death toll of the recent UK heat wave.
- Professor Paul Williams (Meteorology) is quoted by New Scientist (in print) on the significance of climate-neutral aviation.
- Professor Christopher Scott (Meteorology) is quoted by New Scientist (in print) on new research on how lightning finds its way to the ground.
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography/Meteorology) is quoted by Games Industry Biz on the importance of immediate climate action in order to mitigate global impact.
- Professor John Hammond (Agriculture) is mentioned by Hzau News for participating in research on tree root stress.
- Dr Holly Andrews (Henley Business School) is quoted by The Sun (and in print), UAE News, and News Cabal on how to get an internship and increase your employability.
- The Daily Mail, Express Digest, Germanic, Public News Time, News Chant, Today Headline, Express Informer, Web Times, and UK Today News mention a 2011 University study on the health benefits of eating dark chocolate.
- Visiting Research Fellow Nigel Larkin (Biological Sciences) is quoted by the Daily Mail and Big World Tale on the information that can be extracted from fossilised marine animal remains that were discovered recently on a farm in Gloucestershire. BBC Radio Gloucestershire also reported.
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) was interviewed by Times Radio about the history of when herpes began to spread.
- In an interview by The Guardian (and in print) actor Sally Phillips praises the University's Italian cinema teaching and Visiting Professor Zygmunt Baranski (Languages and European Studies) while looking back at her career.
- Maidenhead Advertiser and Windsor Express report on Dr Roger Brugge's (Meteorology) career and upcoming retirement.
- Banoyi reports on Jon Foster-Pedley's (Dean and Director of Henley Business School Africa) research on the impact that African business schools can make within society.
- Stock Head reports on research led by Dr David Field (Psychology) on the benefits of Vitamin B6 for mental health. Read our news story.
- A Portsmouth News report on the career of Conservative MP Penny Mordaunt, following her unsuccessful campaign to be the next Prime Minister, mentions that she is a Reading graduate.
- Popsci and News Break report on a 2014 Turing Test event organised by the University.
- India Gazette reports on a memorandum of understanding signed between the National Institute of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, and Reading to collaborate on agriculture and rural development in developing countries.
- FM UK reports on the University's partnership with Trade Body FIS, AMA Research, and Barbour ABI to improve supply chain relationships in the finishes and interiors sector.
- Scholarship Positions reports on available PhD Scholarships from the University's Meteorology department.
- Kitchen Garden (in print) mentions University research on the positive impact of plants on mental health. Read our news story.
- Student Jess Ashley (Film, Theatre & Television) spoke to BBC Radio Berkshire about a Broadway show she saw in New York.
- EHS Daily Advisor publishes an interview with Jac van der Houwen on how to be a visible role model.
- Fonds report on the career of James Wythe, who joined Aviva Investors in January.