Reading in the news - Thu 14 Jul
14 July 2022
PM race/Penny Mordaunt leadership bid:
- Virgin Radio, GB News, The Independent, The Times (and in print), The Sun, i News, Mail Online, Express, Yahoo!, Medium, Grazia Daily, The Washington Time, Indo Premier, The California Sun, News Groove, Knowledia, The National News, and others report on the career of Conservative MP Penny Mordaunt as she campaigns to be the next Prime Minister, mentioning that she is a Reading graduate.
#PlanetPartners: UK heatwave: Expert commentary from Reading scientists on the increased frequency and severity of heatwaves, their changing definition and associated health risks appear in hundreds of media outlets online:
- Professor Rowan Sutton (Meteorology) was quoted by Times Radio, Heart Radio Berkshire, Central Radio FM, and Greatest Hits Gloucestershire on the impact of global warming on the frequency of heat waves.
- PhD researcher Chloe Brimicombe (Geography/Walker Institute) is quoted by The Breeze Radio on action to be taken to protect those vulnerable to the heat, and her article for The Conversation on the best ways to cool down during a heatwave is republished by Stoke On Trent Live and Teesside Live.
- Professor Nigel Arnell (Meteorology) is quoted by BNN Bloomberg, The Edge Markets, and Head Topics on increased energy demand during the heatwave.
- Professor Richard Allan (Meteorology) is quoted by Head Topics and AFED on the impact of global warming on the intensity of heatwaves.
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography/Environmental Science) is quoted by Kent Live and AFED on the health risks and dangers that come with heatwaves
Working with global partners to protect the environment:
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography/Meteorology) appears in a special documentary marking one year since the lethal summer floods in Germany, on TV station ARD1 (Germany).
- Dr Roger Brugge (Meteorology) is quoted by Berkshire Live, Maidenhead Advertiser, Windsor Express, and Slough Express on the hottest temperatures recorded in Reading.
- The Revelator quotes a 2020 University study on protecting biodiversity in the soil.
- Press Release Point names the University as part of a project aiming to help the UK's agri-food industry achieve net zero.
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) is quoted by The Times (and in print) on how the latest wave of Covid shows the importance of remaining up to date with vaccinations, and he spoke to BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Three Counties, and BBC Radio Oxford on the UK's rise in Covid cases.
- Professor Peter Stoneley (English Literature) was interviewed by BBC Radio Berkshire about the history of Reading jail.
- Professor Duncan Garrow (Archaeology) is quoted by We Love Stornoway on new Neolithic sites confirmed; man-made islands of stone built in the water were discovered in Uist, Scotland.
- Professor Stella Chan (Psychology) is quoted by Head Topics on findings that mindfulness lessons do not work for teenagers.
- Dr Mark Dallas is quoted by Barchester on a trial that suggested an ADHD drug could reduce Alzheimer’s Disease symptoms.
- Dairy Industries International (print) mentions that Professor Ian Givens (IFNH/Agriculture) spoke at the IDF Nutrition and Health Symposium.
- TVB Europe and 4RFV report on the development and progress of Shinfield Studios.
- 24-7 reports on a cardiac surgeon who has been inducted into the Prestigious Marquis Who's Who Biographical Registry, mentioning he previously worked as a researcher at the University.
- Pan African Visions, Algeria Business Info, Head Topics, Tech Economy, and Montage Africa report on the appointment of a Henley Business School graduate as the Chief Financial Officer of SAP Africa.
- The Will Nigeria reports on the wedding of a Reading graduate and fashion designer.