Reading in the news - Mon 28 Feb
28 February 2022
- Professor James Reade (Economics) was interviewed by BBC South on the conflict's impact on the cost of items in the UK.
- Dr Kenton White (Politics & International Relations) was quoted by Channel 4 News on the likelihood of the UK going to war with Russia.
- Dr Mark Shanahan (Politics & International Relations) was quoted by Heart Radio Berkshire on the power that Vladimir Putin holds.
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- Professor Ed Hawkins (Meteorology) is quoted by The Sunday Times (and in print) on the consequences of climate change on the eve of the IPCC report on climate impacts being published today. An interactive graphic featuring updated climate stripes for all global regions is also included in the report.
- Wired, Environmental News Network, Politic Say, and News Now report on University research on the impact of air pollution on pollinators' ability to smell crops and wildflowers. Read our news story.
- Dr Sarah Cardey (Agriculture) is quoted by BBC Radio Berkshire about the impact of climate change on the growth and cultivation of produce and crops, and the income of fairtrade farmers at the frontlines of the climate crisis.
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography / Meteorology) is quoted by Stoke On Trent Live on weather reports based on sophisticated computer modelling, and her article on the need for imaginative solutions to educate the public of the climate crisis is published by the New Scientist (in print).
- Ships Monthly (in print) report on the University's Weather Rescue at Sea project which aims to digitise weather collection records taken aboard the MHS Warrior during the 19th Century. Read our news story.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article on storm forecasts and Cyclone Emnati. Read our news story.
- Print & Publishing reports on the EIT-Food Funded Project, 'PACK4SENSE', which aims to develop sustainable packaging concepts in collaboration with the University. Read more on our research pages.
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) spoke to TalkRADIO about the fourth Covid booster jab; is quoted by Natural News, Le Big Data, and others on Moderna's patented DNA sequencing of a part of Covid's spike protein; and by Health Medicine Net on the UK's dropping of all Covid restrictions.
- Dr David Rose (Agriculture) is quoted by the Cornish Times (in print) on his research on the impact of Covid on farmers' mental health.
- Dr Alexander Edwards (Pharmacy) is quoted by Bisnis on the use of Lithium Heparin in some Covid antibody tests.
- Dr Charmi Patel (Henley Business School) is quoted by Raconteur on the mass mobility of employees to new careers after the pandemic.
- Professor Ian Jones (Biological Sciences) is quoted by The National News on Covid immunity.
- Stuart Brown (Digital Technology Services), is quoted by University World News on the University permanently adopting some digital learning methods, first used during the pandemic.
- Professor Ian Givens (IFNH/Agriculture) is quoted by The Sunday Times (and in print), Kompas on mineral deficiencies from vegetarian and vegan diets, and by 24 Vita on the healthiness of dairy products.
- Dr Gunter Kuhnle (Food) is quoted by Egypt Independent, Kreiszeitung, Merkur, HNA, FR, and 40 others on the benefits of a healthy balanced diet; and by Hero Mag on the link between vegetarian diets and the lower risk of cancer.
- The Guardian Nigeria, The Eagle, The Moment, and Leadership report on the recent naming of Steve Babaeko as a Visiting Fellow at Henley Business School.
- Big Issue in the North (in print) quotes a University graduate on Reading's inclusion of deaf studies in courses.
- In Your Area lists the University's Eunis Dorup e-Learning Award as among the many awards that a female engineer and role model has received for her work.
- Postgraduate student Megan Powell (Agriculture) was quoted by Farm Week (in print) on how she will use the 'Centenary Award' bursary she has won to fund her MSc in Sustainable Food and Agriculture at Reading.
- Professor Helen Parish's (History) article on The Conversation on the shorter length of February compared to other months is reposted by QRIUS.
- Dr Vladimir Rauta's (Politics) article on The Conversation on the Ukraine crisis is reposted by Big News Network and Foreign Affairs.
- Street Insider, Central Charts, and others mention Professor Wing Lam's (CEO and Provost, University of Reading Malaysia) talk on the value of the arts.
- The University is mentioned by Mirage for its part in a collaborative study on soil microbial DNA.
- The Farming Forum reports on the University's collaborative development of farming technology.
- Schools Week reports on the Reading's application process for its teacher training programme.
- Berkshire Live lists a job advertisement at Peals Bubble Tea located at the University's Union.
- To Go reports on Henley Business School's collaborative launch of high-level management training courses.
- News Anyway reports on a University graduate who has been made an Honorary Alderman.
- Business Innovation Mag reports on a University graduate's appointment as the Chief Business Officer of Nucleome Therapeutics.
Loading additional items please wait....