Reading in the news - Fri 25 Feb
25 February 2022
Ukraine Crisis: Dr Mark Shanahan (Politics) is quoted by the Daily Mail and others on the need for President Biden to act decisively and impose sanctions on Russia for breaking international law.
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- Dr Ella Gilbert (Meteorology) is quoted by the Independent, Yahoo!, Eco Watch, and others on the importance of renewable and diverse energy and technologies.
- New Scientist (and in print) publishes an article by Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography / Meteorology) on the need for imaginative solutions to educate the public of the climate crisis.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article that quotes Professor Helen Bilton (Education) on the launch of a free course on climate change offered by the University to primary school teachers. Read our news story.
- Innovation News Network reports on a three-year research project led by Professor Danny Feltham (Meteorology) to deliver a model of sea-ice fragmentation's role in the melting of the Arctic ice-cap to climate and weather modelling groups.
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) is quoted by the Independent, Yahoo!, and others on the risks resulting from the UK's dropping of compulsory isolation, and by Bio Space, News Max, and others on Moderna's patented DNA sequencing of a part of Covid's spike protein.
- Dr David Rose (Agriculture) spoke to BBC Radio Wiltshire about his research on the impact of Covid on farmers' mental health.
- Dr Alexander Edwards (Pharmacy) is quoted by Bisnis on the use of Lithium Heparin in some Covid antibody tests.
- An article by Jon Foster-Pedley (Dean and Director of Henley Business School Africa) on the impact of the pandemic on our lives and minds is published by Skills Summit.
- Professor Gunter Kuhnle (Food) is quoted by The Sun, New York Post, Nutrition Insight, and others on the link between vegetarian diets and the lower risk of cancer.
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor Professor Mark Fellowes spoke to BBC Radio Berkshire about the change in how student loans are paid off.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article that quotes James Ackroyd (Global Recruitment & Admissions) on the rise in applications from students wishing to study at Reading this year. Read our news story.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article that quotes Dr Sarah Werts (Knowledge Transfer Centre) and Professor James Ferryman (Computer Sciences) on the Turing award that the University recently received for its contributions in computing. Read our news story.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article that quotes The University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Robert Van de Noort, on a Distinguished Volunteer award presented recently by the University. Read our news story.
- India Education Diary reposts a University article that quotes Professor Valerio Lucarini (Mathematics) on an award he received for his scientific work on the natural world. Read our news story.
- Eye Magazine publishes an article by Professor Rick Poynor (Typography) which critiques a book of photographs of cars.
- Nigeria Communications Week and Neus Room report on the recent naming of Steve Babaeko as a Visiting Fellow at Henley Business School.
- Exeter City Council and News Anyway report on a University graduate who has been made an Honorary Alderman.
- The University's reaction to drink-spiking on campus is mentioned by the Reading Chronicle (in print) in an article on the issue in the wider Thames Valley region.
- The University is listed by ICTSD as an institution that accepts transfers.
- An article by Ely Standard reports on a University graduate's 100th birthday.