Reading in the news - Fri 11 Feb
11 February 2022
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) is quoted by the Independent, The Times, Yahoo!, iNews, Metro, Unilad, The Herald (and in print), and others on the upcoming early end of isolation rules in the UK and a separate article in The Times (and in print) examining that decision; and by the Daily Mail and others on the reliability of data from the ZOE app which has suggested UK cases are now falling. Dr Clarke is quoted by BBC Radio Berkshire, BBC Radio Oxford, BBC Radio Scotland; spoke to BBC Radio 5 and BBC Radio London; and was interviewed by TRT World News on the implications of scrapping isolation rules in the UK.
- Dr Rachel McCloy (Psychology) is also quoted by The Times (and in print) on concerns over removing mandatory isolation for those infected with Covid.
- Professor Ian Jones (Biological Sciences) and Dr Clarke are quoted by the Daily Mail and others on the discovery of early Covid mutations in a soil sample.
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- Unilad, Futurism, Canal Tech, Kenyan News and The Times Hub report on Reading research on how electric charge in clouds can cause rainfall, quoting project lead Professor Giles Harrison (Meteorology).
- Dr Robbie Girling and Dr James Ryalls (Agriculture) are quoted by Mongabay and Enviro Link on research that revealed the effects of pollution on pollinators' ability to smell crops and wildflowers. Read our news story.
- Research from the University on the price of a time-of-use energy tariff is mentioned by the Daily Mail, Mail+, (and in print).
- Collaborative University research on the spread of the Black Death is reported by Mirage News. Read our news story.
- A repeated episode of Food Unwrapped on Channel 4 features Professor Lisa Methven (Food and Nutritional Sciences) explaining the differences in taste receptors and how that influences why some people do not like artificial sweeteners.
- Professor Jane Setter (English Language) spoke to BBC Radio Berkshire about the Berkshire accent.
- Professor Adrian Palmer (Henley Business School) is quoted by Press Gazette on changes in marketing tactics.
- A certification involving Henley Business School lecturers that provides training to become omni-channel managers is mentioned by E.Tailment.
- Psychology scholarships offered by the University are mentioned by Gist Vile.
- A Henley Business School student is mentioned by News From Wales for being awarded the highest membership grade for his dedication to the business community.
- A PhD student from the University is quoted by Premium Times NG on the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strikes over neglect in the Nigerian university sector.
- A University student's performance in Berkshire's under 20's rugby team is reported by RDG Today.
- Tech Next reports on a Reading graduate's new career at Airtel Africa, leading its strategy, partnership and sustainability roadmap.
- The University is mentioned in a property feature in The Times (and in print) as being in close proximity to Earley.
Loading additional items please wait....