Reading in the news - Mon 12 Dec
12 December 2022
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- PhD student Chloe Brimicombe (previously Geography/Walker Institute) was interviewed by Talk TV and Talk Radio on the unusually cold weather this winter, mentioning the University's observations.
- Dr Stephen Burt (Meteorology) was interviewed by BBC Radio Berkshire on the UK's cold winter.
- Professor Richard Allan (Meteorology) is listed by Reading Chronicle (in print) and Slough Observer (in print) as a previous speaker at Reading's Climate Fayre.
- Professor Jim Dunwell (Agriculture) is quoted by Commercial Greenhouse Bank (in print) on domesticating plants from varieties stored in seed banks to protect them from disease.
- Dr James Ryalls (Agriculture) is quoted by Horticulture Week (in print) on University findings that suggest air pollution threatens natural pest control methods in sustainable farming. Read our news story.
- Professor Tom Oliver (Biological Sciences) is quoted by New Scientist (in print) on the unrealistic nature of COP15's target to reverse biodiversity loss by 2030.
- Professor Mike Fulford (Archaeology) is quoted by Newbury Times on the impact that the development of a solar farm on Roman Silchester would have on the potential of future findings.
- Matt Tebbit (Head of Catering and Bars) is mentioned by Public Sector Catering for having taken part in a leadership conference on Menus of Change.
- Heart Radio Berkshire reports that the University has been ranked the fourth greenest university in the UK.
- Sustain Web reports that Reading University's food policies scored full marks in the People & Planet University League.
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) is quoted by Huffpost, Yahoo!, Archy Newsy, Public News Time, Today UK News, Wolfsburger Allgemeine, Lubeder Nachrichten, Kieler Nachrichten, Elbe-Jeetzel-Zeitung, Dresdner Neueste Nachrichten. Leipziger Volkszeitung, and others on how lockdown has affected children's immunity to the bacteria that causes strep.
- The University's annual Santa Run is mentioned in an article by Mail+, BBC Radio Berkshire, and BBC Radio Oxford.
- Collaborative research by Dr Faye Shortland (Economics and Marketing), Dr Paul Hurley, and Dr David Rose (Agriculture) on the mental health of farmers is mentioned by Eurek Alert, The Print, News Wise, Big News Network, News Medical, New Kerala, and Latestly.
- Dr Soon Gweon (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) is mentioned by IFL Science, Tek Deeps, News Plus, Unboxholics, and Future Zone for leading a study on mould and fungi in sinks and drains.
- Guangming, The Star, The Sun Daily, Head Topics, Phuke Times, Malaysia Gazette, and Asia News Today report on comments made at a seminar hosted by the University of Reading, Malaysia.
- Dr Alejandra Perotti (Biological Sciences) is quoted by Daily Star and Big World Tale on Reading research revealing the evolution and mating habits of tiny skin mites that live in the pores of our faces.
- Dr Mark Dallas (Pharmacy) was interviewed by BBC Radio Berkshire on his recent research linking heading the ball in football to higher risks of developing dementia.
- Professor Wing Lam's (CEO and Provost, University of Reading Malaysia) article on the impact of university rankings on student interest is published by The Star and reposted by Head Topics.
- Professor Vimal Karani (Food) is listed by Ipoh Echo as the moderator of an annual nutrition seminar.
- Professor Helen Dodd (Psychology) is quoted by The News Lens on the psychological impacts of social distancing on children.
- Heart Radio Berkshire reports on the University's planned renovations of Whiteknights campus and development of a clinical training facility.
- Reading Chronicle (in print) reports on the performance of Henley Business School student, Mengyao Shi in a table tennis tournament.
- Biznes mentions Henley Business School's research on the benefits of the four-day workweek.
- BBC Radio Merseyside interviewed someone who previously competed against the University of Reading in an annual fun run.
- Yahoo! mentions a past performance by The Jam at the University.
- The Street Journal, The Cable, Head Topics, Business Post, This Day Live, PM News Nigeria, National Daily NG, and Naija News publish an obituary for University alumnus, Laolu Mudashiru.
- The Street Journal, Business Hallmark and New Telegraph report on the appointment of Reading alumnus, Dr Daniel Kolawole Olukoya, as a professor of biotechnology.
- Cumbria Times, Yorkshire Times, North East Post, and Lancashire Times publish an interview with Reading alumnus and garden photographer, Clive Nichols.
- News 24 and The Pink Brain report on the career of actor and Henley Business School alumnus, Thato Molamu.
- Lifo publishes an interview with Reading alumnus, journalist, and author, Nikos Vatopoulos.
- Women On Top publishes an interview with Henley Business School alumna, Mariet Visser.
Loading additional items please wait....