Reading in the news - Wed 17 Aug
17 August 2022
Viral flooding demo: Continued coverage of Dr Rob Thompson's (Meteorology) online video which shows how droughts impact how the ground absorbs water on TV and radio by Talk TV, and BBC Radio Essex, and online by The Independent, Metro, Daily Mail, IFL Science, Women and Home, Yahoo!, Surrey Live, My London, France TV Online and others.
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography/Meteorology) is quoted by ITV News (online), The Telegraph, The Times, The Sun, BBC, Express, Daily Mail, Aol., Metro, Evening Standard, Daily Mirror (and in print), Daily Star, Yahoo!, China Daily, My London, National World, The Press, The Mail, The Herald, Daily Echo, Swindon Advertiser, Glasgow Times, Oxford Mail, The Northern Echo, Worcester News, The Reading Chronicle, and over one hundred other regional outlets on the impact of rain on the drought and the danger of flash flooding.
- Dr Rob Thompson (Meteorology) was interviewed by BBC News and The Telegraph on flooding after drought.
- Doctoral researcher Siobhan Dolan (Geography) was quoted by BBC Radio Three Counties, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio Northampton, BBC Radio Devon, BBC Radio Guernsey, BBC Radio Solent, and BBC Radio Newcastle about the rain needed to recover from the drought.
- Dr Helen Griffith (Geography) was interviewed by BBC Radio Newcastle about flooding in urban areas.
- UAE Business Review reports on the University's partnership with various meteorological centres and institutes to expand research on rain enhancement science.
COVID-19: expert comment on the pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) was interviewed by Talk TV and Talk Radio on the release of the new 'bivalent' Covid vaccine.
- Aol., Yahoo!, Independent.ie, The Standard, The Herald Series, Shropshire Star, Belfast Telegraph, Windsor Observer, and others mention the University Student Union's boycotting of University Challenge in 2016.
- Jon Foster-Pedley (Dean and Director of Henley Business School) is quoted by Mail & Guardian and Banoyi on equipping young people with business skills to become job creators rather than job seekers.
- Dr Gundula Mueldner (Archaeology) is quoted by British Archaeology (in print) on the geology of the origins of neolithic people and animals.
- Garden Answers (in print) mentions University research on the positive effect of plants on mental health.
- ADVFN, Finanzen, Benzinga, IDC Chase, and Yahoo! report on the appointment of Henley Business School graduate, Chelsea Hayes to Western Gold's board of directors.
- Vodacom and Biz Community report on the appointment of Henley Business School graduate, Mapi Mhlangu as convenor of the judging panel for Vodacom's Journalist of the Year Awards.
- Gibraltar Chronicle reports that a Reading graduate has won the top prize in a global tech competition.