Reading in the news - Fri 12 Aug
12 August 2022
#PlanetPartners: working with global partners to protect the environment
- ITV ITV News (and online), ITV's Good Morning Britain, The Independent, Evening Standard, BBC, Huff Post, The Times (in print), Metro, AOL., The Herald, Yahoo!, Glasgow Evening Times, Belfast Telegraph, Express and Star, Daily Echo, Knowledia, News Break, and others report on Dr Rob Thompson's (Meteorology) online video - which has been viewed more than 2 million times on Twitter - which shows how droughts impact how the ground absorbs water. He was interviewed by Sky News, LBC News Radio, and BBC News 24, and quoted by BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio Three Counties, BBC Radio Berkshire, and many other regional stations on what it means if an official UK drought is declared and the risk of flash flooding if heavy rain follows.
- Professor Hannah Cloke (Geography/Meteorology) is quoted by The Times, i News, The U.S. Sun, The Sun, Daily Mail, LBC News (online), MSN, BBC Radio Kent, Express Digest, J News, and others on heatwaves; Daily Express (in print), US News, MSN, Yahoo!, Street Insider, China,org, English News, In Cyprus and Big News Network on water scarcity; and was interviewed by the Evening Standard's podcast, The Leader, on the severity of the drought.
- Professor Nigel Arnell (Meteorology) is quoted by Sky News (online), Evening Standard, Independent, Daily Mail, AOL., Heart Radio (online), Gold Radio UK (online), Smooth Radio (online), Yahoo! and others on climate change's impact on the severity of droughts and heatwaves; and by The Guardian (and in print) and Yahoo! on the likelihood of major water usage restrictions in the UK.
- PhD student Chloe Brimicombe (Geography/Walker Institute) answered heatwave and drought questions on Times Radio, BBC Radio Berkshire, and BBC Radio Ulster.
- Professor Ed Hawkins (Meteorology) spoke to The Breeze Radio on the importance of continued discussions about climate change in order to adapt.
- Doctoral Researcher Siobhan Dolan (Geography) spoke to BBC Radio Oxford on water leaks in the UK.
Arctic flights: BBC 1 South, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio Berkshire, the British Antarctic Survey, Eastern Daily Press (in print), Mirage News, and Environmental News Network report on the University's research on the impact of weather systems on sea ice melt by flying research aircrafts into Arctic storms. Professor John Methven (Meteorology) who is leading the research, and PhD student, Hannah Croad (Meteorology) were interviewed and quoted. Read our news story.
- Professor Jonathan Bignell (Film) is quoted by Vice on contestant performance on reality TV.
- A tweet by PhD student Richard Marks on the liveliness of British manufacturing is quoted by the Express.
- Professor Gunter Kuhnle (Food) is quoted by the BBC on caution towards labelling foods that contain flavonoids as healthy.
- FR reports on a University study on the positive health effect that flavonoids can have on high blood pressure.
- Investegate, ADVFN, and Shares Magazine mention Dr Rob Cook, a former Geography student, about inside information for a company's announcement.