Please read these terms and conditions (Terms) as they will govern your use of the website www.reading.ac.uk and its subdomains (collectively the Websites).
These Terms will also apply to your use of any of the University of Reading’s social media channels, including, but not limited to, the following: www.facebook.com/theuniversityofreading, www.twitter.com/uniofreading, www.youtube.com/uniofreading and www.linkedin.com/company/university-of-reading (Social Media Channels).
The Websites and the Social Media Channels belong to The University of Reading an independent corporation established by Royal Charter in England and Wales with number RC000665 of Whiteknights House, PO Box 217, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AH, UK (the University, we, us or our), and they are made available to you subject to your acceptance of the following Terms. If you do not accept these Terms, you should not use the Websites or the Social Media Channels.
- The content on our Websites and Social Media Channels is for general information only and has been prepared solely for the purpose of providing selected information about the University, its subsidiary companies, and organisations with which it is associated, and about the respective goods and/or services which they offer.
- The University makes every effort to ensure that the information provided on its Websites and Social Media Channels is accurate and up-to-date. However, it may be necessary for the University to make some changes to the information and to its services from time to time. Examples of when it may be deemed necessary to do this include, but are not limited to: (i) where it is necessary to reflect changes in the theory in an area of research, or practices around a subject, or its delivery, or (ii) if an accrediting or commissioning body requires certain course content be added or removed. It is the responsibility of all students, prospective students and/or other visitors to the Websites and/or Social Media Channels to verify the accuracy of all relevant facts and information before entering into any financial or other commitment based upon them.
- The University undertakes to take all reasonable steps to provide the services described on the Websites and/or Social Media Channels. It does not, however, guarantee the provision of such services. Should industrial action or other circumstances beyond the control of the University interfere with its ability to provide the services, the University will use all reasonable steps to minimise any disruption.
- While the University tries to make the Websites and the Social Media Channels available without interruption, it reserves the right to suspend or withdraw access, without notice, to either the whole or part of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels, for any reason, and to schedule occasional downtime for maintenance.
- Every effort is made to ensure downloadable content is free from viruses, spyware or other malware but the University accepts no liability for damages resulting from virus infection and cannot guarantee that use of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels will be virus-free, or that use of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels will not affect other software or operating systems used to access the Websites and/or Social Media Channels.
Updates and changes to the Terms
- The University may update or change these Terms from time to time and any such updates or changes will be effective from the date of publication. Please make sure you are aware of the current Terms. Your continued use of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels will indicate your acceptance of the revised Terms.
Registration and passwords
- Access to some areas of the Websites may be restricted to users who have registered their details with us. They may also be restricted to certain categories of user, such as applicants, current students or University of Reading graduates. You may be asked to agree to additional terms and conditions when registering to access these areas.
- When registering for these areas, you must not use a false name or email address or provide any false information, nor impersonate another person when registering for use of any part of the Website. If you have been given a password as part of a registration process, you agree not to share or disclose it to any third party, nor allow any third party to use your password or gain access to the areas and services that have been restricted for use by registered users.
- We may refuse or terminate your registration and access at any time if we believe you to be in breach of any part of these Terms or any applicable laws.
User conduct and submission of materials
- There may be pages on the Websites or the Social Media Channels on which you are permitted to post, upload, or send content or information. If you post, upload, or send any content or information to the Websites and/or Social Media Channels, you agree that you will not:
- Commit or encourage unlawful acts;
- Post material which is (or other users are likely to consider is) defamatory, threatening, offensive, obscene, hateful;
- Post materials that infringe intellectual property rights;
- Post any materials that contain personal data or confidential information about another person or organisation, without that person’s or organisation’s express consent;
- Access or attempt to access other parties’ user accounts;
- Misrepresent your identity or impersonate another person.
- Distribute any type of virus, spyware or other device intended to cause nuisance, loss or corruption of any information; or
- Hack or attempting to hack any part of the Websites, or any system used to run them, or any system accessed through the Websites.
- If you access the Websites and/or Social Media Channels via University computers and/or data networks, and you are a member of the University, you will also need to comply with the Rules for the Use of University Computers and Data Networks.
- We reserve the right to remove any content and/or information from our Websites and/or Social Media Channels, at any time without notice and at our sole discretion, and to pursue any course of action against you that is available to us under applicable laws for breach of any part of these Terms or for breach of any applicable laws.
- Where you publish any feedback, opinions or statements about or regarding the University, on any of the Websites, or on any University Social Media Channels, you irrevocably consent to the University using such feedback, opinions or statements in any marketing material in any media.
- Views expressed by individuals on the Websites and Social Media Channels (Third-Party Views), for example via a Twitter feed or otherwise, should not be taken to represent the University’s views or values unless expressly stated otherwise. The University is not responsible for any such Third-Party Views or any claims resulting from them.
- All copyright, design rights and other intellectual property rights in the content of this Websites and the Social Media Channels, including but not limited to the University logo, text, artwork, graphics, video, sounds, layout, software and technical infrastructure, is owned by or licensed to the University unless explicitly stated otherwise. All such rights are reserved.
- Except as otherwise expressly permitted under copyright law, the content of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels (or any part of them) cannot be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form, by any means, or for any purpose other than for personal non-commercial reference (described further below), unless you have obtained the prior written consent of the University (or its licensor). Any such permitted use may be subject to further terms and conditions, including where applicable any third-party terms and conditions that may apply to your use of the Social Media Channels, such as Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. If you wish to use any University content beyond the scope of personal, non-commercial use permitted by these Terms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may print and download content from the Websites and/or the Social Media Channels for personal, non-commercial use only, provided you:
- Don’t make any changes to the content;
- Don’t separate graphics from accompanying text;
- Include the copyright notice on all copies; and
- Acknowledge the Websites or the University as the source of the material.
You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by printing or downloading copyright material for personal, non-commercial use.
- The University of Reading name and logo are registered trade marks and belong to the University. The Websites and/or Social Media Channels may also feature third-party-owned trade marks that the University is licensed or authorised to use. Nothing in these Terms gives you any right, permission, or licence to use any of these names and/or logos. If you wish to apply for permission to use the University’s trade marks please contact: email@example.com.
- The University reserves the right to remove or alter any content from the Websites and/or the Social Media Channels at any time without notice and shall not be responsible for any loss, damage or expense arising from such removal.
Governing law and jurisdiction
- These Terms, their subject matter and their formation, are governed by English law. If you are a consumer, you and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction. If you are a business, we both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
- If you are using the Websites and/or Social Media Channels from outside England other laws may apply to your use of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels. We operate the Websites and/or Social Media Channels from within the UK. We are not subject to local laws applicable in your country and any of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels may not be compliant with those local laws. You should not use any of the Websites and/or Social Media Channels unless you are happy with this position.
- If you have any queries about your use of the Website or any information on the Website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If any part of these Terms is found to be illegal or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the term(s) in question will be severed, but the remaining terms will continue in force.
- No waiver of any term shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term. Nothing in these Terms shall confer on any third party any benefit or the right to enforce any provision of these Terms.
Last updated: 04 August 2015