BSc Pharmacology with Foundation
Develop the knowledge and skills to work as a pharmacologist within the pharmaceutical or life sciences industries with our new BSc Pharmacology with Foundation.
Please note that applications for 2024 are now closed.
This four-year programme includes a foundation year that leads directly into the three-year course.
This course has been designed to align with the British Pharmacological Society's core curricula and was developed with the needs of the pharmaceutical industry in mind
- Study the principles of drug action and molecular targets.
- Learn about drug design and delivery.
- Learn the key mathematical principles and skills required in the industry. This includes statistical analysis as well as handling and analysing big data sets.
- Understand the role of pharmacology in marketing, registration and clinical trials of medicines.
Reading is one of the UK's top 25 universities for pharmacy and pharmacology (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2024) and we have experts in pharmacology, pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmacy practice, as well as biomedical science and mathematics, who are all working on different aspects of drug research. In the National Student Survey 2023, 93% of our students agreed our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things (92.56% of respondents studying in the School of Pharmacy).
On this course you will also have the option of spending a year in industry with our four-year BSc Pharmacology with a Year in Industry.
During your studies, you'll use our purpose-built suite of teaching laboratories and have access to our research facility. These include:
- laboratories to study organ bath pharmacology
- tissue culture suites
- multi-mode microplate readers (absorbance, fluorescence, luminescence)
- multicolour flow cytometry
- real-time PCR.
Our BSc Pharmacology with Foundation course will not result in qualification to work as a pharmacist. Please refer to our MPharm Pharmacy or MPharm Pharmacy with Preparatory Year courses if this is the route you wish to follow.