MSc Food Technology - Quality Assurance
Start date: September 2022
Learn the science behind providing safe food to the public with our MSc Food Technology - Quality Assurance degree.
On this course, you’ll work with expert academics from the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences as you:
- learn to apply and maintain advanced food quality assurance systems that meet both UK and international expectations
- understand the chemical, biological and physical principles involved in food processing and storage
- learn about quality and legal requirements in food provision.
As part of your studies, you will work in some of the UK’s largest dedicated food teaching facilities. These include:
- Food Processing Centre. This pilot plant is unique to Reading. There is almost 1100m2 of floor space devoted to approximately £4m worth of equipment. Used primarily for teaching and learning, the plant contains processing equipment for food product development work. No other UK university offers what we do under one roof.
- Flavour Centre. The Centre hosts facilities that enable you to gain comprehensive practical experience in taste and aroma analysis and flavour extraction.
We are proud of our research, 95% of which is deemed to be of international standing (Research Excellence Framework 2021, combining 4*, 3* and 2*submissions – Agriculture, Food and Veterinary Sciences). As an MSc Food Technology - Quality Assurance student, you will also have access to the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of food science and technology.
Gain valuable industry experience with MSc Food Technology - Quality Assurance
Our MSc Food Technology – Quality Assurance is industry relevant, and the curriculum has been designed in consultation with industry. Designed to widen your skill set and boost employability, your case studies and project work will focus on current issues in the food sector. You will also complete a research project at the University or with one of our industry partners. This gives you the opportunity to embed your learning within, and gain exposure to, real life food technology working environments.
Build on your existing knowledge
This master’s course is for graduates of pure sciences – such as chemistry, biology, biochemistry and microbiology – or applied sciences. Examples of applied sciences degrees include:
- Food science
- Food engineering
- Food technology
- Human physiology
- Biomedical sciences
- Agricultural engineering
If you’re unsure whether your degree counts as an applied science, please contact us via reading.ac.uk/question.
Your studies will build on your existing scientific knowledge and cover quality assurance, food chemistry, food analysis, and food processing.
You will learn through a variety of teaching methods, including:
- problem-based learning
- laboratory classes
You will also be supported through our online virtual learning environment.