The University’s Research and Enterprise Services (RES) function offers specialist knowledge and professional support to researchers or research divisions who are applying for external research or innovation funding, or who want to develop external collaborations. This includes advice on, and authorisation of, contracts with external partners.
Applying for external research funding
The Research Development team within RES have a detailed knowledge of the research funding environment. They identify appropriate sources of funding, guide researchers in all aspects of proposal writing and costing, offer support with peer review of proposals and approve all applications on behalf of the University.
To find out more, including access to a regularly maintained database of external funding opportunities, an annual funding calendar, training sessions and seminars visit the University’s Research and Enterprise Services pages (internal, password-protected pages).
Internal funding support
- Research Endowment Trust Fund: The University’s Research Endowment Trust Fund supports research initiatives that will build research excellence, foster interdisciplinary working, or support the development of large research funding bids. Calls are issued throughout the year, for example University Research Fellowships, the RETF Open Fund and the Research Infrastructure Fund. Full details and application forms are available on the Staff Portal page.
- Collaborative Innovation Fund: This joint fund supports new collaborations between the University and Royal Berkshire Hospital in teaching, learning and training, research or knowledge exchange. It is open to all colleagues across any grade or area in both the Hospital and the University. Awards are up to a maximum of £60,000 for any project and for a maximum duration of 1 year. Further information is available from the Joint Academic Board.
- Global Challenges Research Fund Strategy: The University has established a new fund to support research that addresses the challenges faced by developing countries. A Call for Proposals will be issued twice a year for the next three years (2018/19, 2019/20 and 2020/21) to support: (a) Substantial Research projects (up to £200,000 each); (b) Equitable Partnership Development proposals (up to £40,000); and (c) a Rapid Response Fund for small projects to respond to an urgent opportunity. Further details about the Strategic Fund's aims etc. are on the GCRF Strategy page (password protected).
- Open Access publishing: A small fund is available via the Scholarly Communications Office in the Library to support open access publishing of journal articles and open access monographs. Further details are on the Library website (password protected).
- Research Travel Grant Fund: The Research Travel Grant Fund assists with the cost of presenting research results and outcomes at seminars, events and conferences. It is available to eligible academic staff, other staff employed on the research scale, and to doctoral students who do not have full external funding. See full details (password protected).