Mr John Slaght
Head of Language Testing and Assessment and Course Director.
External examiner for Middlesex University Pre-sessional Courses (January 2014 onwards)
External examiner for Newman University International Language Centre, Birmingham (January 2016 onwards).
Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSE).
International students project 'Increasing The English language competence of overseas students is the production of an IELTS briefing document/online resources for all staff. A research project headed by Professor Claire Furneaux (DELAL) and in conjunction with Dr Karin Whiteside (ISLI) and Mr Sebastian Watkins (ISLI).
The impact of fluency in the TEEP Speaking Test with Dr Parvaneh Tavakoli (DELAL)
The development of an undergraduate level TEEP at NUIS, Malaysia and the University of Reading
I began teaching in September 1969. Initially I taught French, History and, from 1975, English. I have been involved in EAP full-time since 1980. It was while working in Zambia (1972-86) that I became involved in language testing by heading regional marking teams for the Copperbelt Region of Zambia. I then worked for one year in Saudi Arabia (1988-9) after completing my MA at Reading.
I first began working at the University in 1988 immediately after my MA (Applied Linguistics). I worked every summer on the pre-sessional and did some sessional work until July 2000, when I became a full-time member of staff.
I am an avid reader and love the countryside. I like walking long distances and I like to keep fit. I also love music and have a large collection of CDs and vinyl ranging through blues, rock, country, folk and classical. I waste a lot of time on cryptic crosswords with about 50% success rate of completion.
Awards and honours
Selected publicationsSlaght, J (2012). Authenticity and need in the design of reading into writing tests'. Proceedings of the 2011 BALEAP Conference. Reading: Garnet Education
- Brewer, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-3687-6202 , Roche, C. , Schmitt, D. , Slaght, J. , Anneli, W. (2013) Can Do Framework: Competency statements for international students (Master’s level).. BALEAP
- Slaght, J. (2013) Authenticity and need in the design of EAP reading-into-writing tests. Proceedings of the 2011 BALEAP Conference pp. 181-187. ISSN: 9781908614711
- Slaght, J. (2012) English for academic study: reading course book. English for Academic Study Garnet Education , Reading. pp 108. ISBN: 978190861437
- Slaght, J. (2012) English for academic study: reading teacher's book. English for Academic Study Garnet Education , Reading. pp 200. ISBN: 9781908614384
- Slaght, J. (2009) Lead role or supporting act? The status of computer-based testing in EAP Assessment. Proceedings of the 2009 BALEAP conference pp. 128-135. ISSN: 978185964693-9
- Slaght, J. and Howell, B. (2009) “Action Research into Pre-sessional Students' Differentiation of Assessments: Using Findings to Improve Courses”.
- McCormack, J. and Slaght, J. (2005) English for academic study: extended writing & research skills. English for Academic Study Garnet Education , Reading. pp 89. ISBN: 9781859645031