From the day you arrive on the International Foundation Programme (IFP), you will be made welcome as a member of our international community at Reading.
We provide the support you need to make a success of your studies and enjoy your time at Reading.
"Knowing that academic assistance was readily available through the numerous seminars, tutorials, and drop-in sessions gave me a sense of confidence, assurance and academic security."
How we support you
Your Academic Tutor
When you join us at Reading, you may have a lot of questions about your studies, the University and life in the UK. Your Academic Tutor is here to make sure you get the help you need to settle in quickly. They will:
- advise and support you with your studies
- help you with any academic or personal matters that may be affecting your progress
- check that you are settling in and enjoying your time at Reading
- provide you with a reference, if you need one to apply for a future job or course.
Just having someone to talk to can make a big difference, and your Academic Tutor is a friendly and approachable member of staff who is here to support you.
Other support available from the University
There are many different people you can turn to, if you need help during your time on the IFP, including:
- our International Student Advice team can provide you with support on settling in or adapting to the new academic culture, or advice on visas and immigration
- cultural societies: friendly, student-run communities that give you the opportunity to meet people from your home country or religion, or find out about new cultures
- our counselling and wellbeing service: a professional service that provides counselling, well-being and mental health support
- our Chaplaincy Centre: a
welcoming place to go for a friendly chat, the Chaplaincy Service can also point you in the direction of other places of worship and faith centres
- our student website Essentials, in particular the information for international students.
Friendship and fun
You'll get to make friends, have fun and develop your confidence on the IFP at Reading.
Just for you
We organise a range of fun activities, trips and events just for IFP students, such as:
- paintballing, bowling, laser tag and ice-skating
- day trips to London, Oxford, Stonehenge and other places of interest
- a fun day out at Thorpe Park for thrilling roller coaster rides
- theatre visits.