- 2021 The Global Graduate Programme: developing curricular provision to support development of global competencies citizenship, intercultural competencies and graduate attributes. T&L Innovation Fund
- 2017 Supporting Dyslexic Students to Learn Languages Diversity and Inclusion Fund
- 2016 Development of Italian 3 module in partnership with students ISLI T&L Projects Development Fund
- 2016 Online Placement Tests for IWLP Italian and Spanish ISLI T&L Projects Development Fund
- 2015 Introducing peer/team-based learning in the IWLP Italian 1 syllabus ISLI T&L Projects Development Fund
- School Director of Teaching and Learning
- The Global Graduate Programme Coordinator
- External Examiner Newcastle University (University-wide language Programme)
Areas of interest
- As School Director of Teaching and Learning, I provide Teaching and Learning leadership to programmes within the International Study and Language Institute (ISLI). I am a member of the School Leadership Team.
- I have overarching responsibility for Foundation Level provision aimed at both home and international students at the Reading Campus and overseas, including existing and emerging partnerships.
- I co-ordinate the Global Graduate Programme, a set of university-wide modules to support development of students’ global citizenship and competencies, graduate attributes.
My Teaching and Learning scholarship interests include:
- Academic and vernacular literacy practices;
- intercultural competence and communication,
- second language acquisition, assessment, blended learning, inclusive pedagogies, academic integrity, curriculum development.
Module convenor of:
- Modern Britain 2: society, culture and history - undergraduate research (IL1GMB2)
- Intercultural Competence and Communication (IL1GICC)
Previous roles include:
- Teaching and Learning coordinator (Italian & assessment) on the Institution-Wide Language Programme;
- School Disability Rep;
- School Diversity and Inclusion Lead;
- Academic Secondee on the Electronic Management of Assessment Project.
- External Examiner Solent University (Introduction to English Language Teaching; Languages for all Italian)
- Module convenor: IWLP Italian (LA1PI1, LA1PI2, LA1PI3); English for Erasmus Students (IL1GEE)
- Pg. Cert. Academic Practice, University of Reading
- Pg. Cert. Human Resources Management, University of Sunderland
- B. Soc. Sc. (Hons) International Studies and Politics, University of Birmingham
- Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA)
- Senior Fellow Higher Education Academy
- NILANG Accredited Examiner
- Member of London & the South East Academic Integrity Network
- Member of Association of University Language Centres
- Member of UK Association for Language Testing and Assessment
- Member of British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes
- Peace, M. and Standen, D. (2021). A case study in harmonising progression and qualification requirements. InForm, 20
- Standen, D. (2017) ‘Applying Flipped Learning to an IWLP Italian Stage 3 Module: Creating a Deep Learning Environment’. Flipped Learning Network Hub. https://flippedlearning.org/academic subject/foreign languages/applying-flipped-learning-iwlp-italian-stage-3-module-creating-deep-learning-environment/ .
- Standen, D. (2017) ‘An Appraisal of “Flipped Learning” in the Italian Classroom’. Tuttitalia - Association for Language Learning. https://www.all-languages.org.uk/language-zones/italianzone/appraisal-flipped-learning-italian-classroom/ .
- Contributions to Reading University T&L Exchange
- Standen, D. (2020) ‘Introducing group assessment to improve constructive alignment: impact on teacher and student experience
- Standen, D. (2020) How ISLI moved to full online teaching in four weeks.
- Standen, D. (2017) Applying Flipped Learning to an IWLP Italian Stage 3 module: creating a deep learning environment.
- Brown L., Klinpfinger, R., Siciliano Verruccio E., Standen, D. (2017) Supporting Inclusivity and Diversity in Language Teaching and Learning at the University of Reading.
- Standen, D. (2017) Five ideas on how to use Chromebooks in the Classroom.
- Conference Presentations:
‘Paired oral assessment in IWLP French and Italian’. (lead presenter) AULC (Association of University Language Centres) Conference. Maynooth University, Ireland. January 2020 .
- ‘Introducing group assessment to improve constructive alignment: impact on teacher and student experience’. (Poster Presentation). Engage, Enhance, Empower: Supporting student achievement Conference. The University of Reading, January 2020
- ‘Developing HE Teacher’s assessment literacy to enhance the quality of language assessment: a case study’. (co-presenter ) Professional Competencies in Language Learning and Teaching Conference. University of Nottingham, July 2018.
- ‘Developing quality foreign language assessment in an HE context: reality, challenges, ambition’. (co-presenter) UK ALTA (UK Association for Language Testing and Assessment) Conference. University of Huddersfield, November 2017
- ‘Transitioning into the world of work: encouraging students to learn deeply and broadly to enhance independence and transferable skills’. (lead presenter) UK LINGUA - Multilingual Language Learning and Teaching Colloquium. The University of Durham, April 2017.
- ‘Encouraging students to learn deeply and broadly: tools to enhance independence and transferrable skills in an IWLP Italian beginner module’. (co-presenter) AULC – (Association of University Language Centres) Conference. Queen’s University, Belfast, January 2017
- ‘Flipped learning in the language classroom’. UK LINGUA - Multilingual Language Learning and Teaching Colloquium. The University of Durham, April 2016.
Teaching and Learning funded projects: