How do I prepare for the subject-specific elements of my interview?
Please be prepared to deliver a five-minute mock microlesson relating to a Computer Science topic that interests you – for example, an introduction to binary, algorithms, network topology or data representation.
For your microlesson, you should:
- consider a potential target audience (for example, Year 7 or Year 9)
- explain why you have chosen the topic for your microlesson
- explain how you would introduce the topic to your target audience "unplugged" (without using the computer)
- consider the learning opportunities for the students including any possible misconceptions or aspects that you anticipate the students may find particularly engaging, difficult or challenging
- try to encourage discussion, perhaps by ending with a question
- share specific resources that you would use with the class.
- This will be a verbal presentation. Please do not to use PowerPoint or other presentation formats (including a whiteboard).
- You may wish to use a prop as an example, or for focus.
If you have any questions about the microlesson that you need to prepare, please contact the subject leader, Dr Yota Dimitriadi (firstname.lastname@example.org), before the date of your interview.