The following information is provided for the benefit of staff based in Schools and Departments looking to advertise and appoint to a postgraduate research studentship.
Prospective students seeking funding for their studies should go to the funding section of the website.
The Graduate School undertakes a number of functions to help support staff in Schools and Departments in advertising and making offers of funding for all studentships; this is to help ensure a consistent and fair approach to the allocation of this funding.
For more information of what support is available and the procedures in the process, including the advertising of studentships, appointments and selection of award holders, please contact Dr Lucy Fletcher, Doctoral Studentships Support Officer, at email@example.com.
- Studentship adverts: standard template
- Studentship details pro-forma (for use at the point of appointment)
Approval process for involvement in potential doctoral training partnerships
The University has a formal approval process for determining whether the University should engage in, and or lead, doctoral training partnerships.
Academic colleagues who wish to lead in applications for doctoral training partnerships need to complete the doctoral training partnerships intention to participate form.
These may include:
- UKRI-funded doctoral training partnerships (DTPs)
- UKRI-funded centres for doctoral training (CDTs)
- UKRI-funded collaborative training partnerships (CTPs)
- major research charity doctoral training programmes (e.g. Wellcome, BHF, Leverhulme)
- international doctoral networks and doctoral training programmes (e.g. MSCA Doctoral Networks).
In making a decision, the following will be considered:
- the strategic importance of the partnership for the School/University (including the extent to which it might lead to further desirable research collaborations)
- the level of support required from the University (direct and in-kind)
- the number of studentships likely to be awarded to the DTP/CDT
- the Reading PI's research standing and track record.
The DTP/CDT bid process flowchart provides information on the various approval and review stages of the application process.
If you have any queries about the process, please contact Elena Bedisti, Director of Graduate School Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.