What is Researchfish?
Researchfish is the online system used by the Research Councils to collect information on the research activities of their award holders. Funders are required to demonstrate the value for money and impact their research has had in order to sustain continued public investment. This information is publically available via the Gateway to Research and Researchfish is the primary method for gathering this data from individual researchers.
All Principle Investigators are required to submit information about the outputs, outcomes and impact their research has produced. Where this information was previously gathered through the Research Outcomes System via a lengthy final report, Researchfish provides an online form with question sets that allow for easy entry of outcomes information. Outcomes can be entered onto the system at any point, however must be submitted during each annual submission period.
The next submission period for the Research Councils will be:
1st February 2021 - 11th March 2021
Why do I need to use Researchfish?
Providing the outcomes of research using Researchfish is a condition of accepting UKRI grants (as well as for many other funders, such as NIHR, British Heart Foundation, The Wellcome Trust, STFC and The British Council). Research Councils apply sanctions on Principal Investigators for non-compliance. These include preventing you from applying for further grants or withholding funding for live projects (further details).
Researchers are asked to provide updates annually during the period of the awards and usually for five years after their awards have finished.
What do I need to do?
If you are a Principle Investigator on a current or previous grant you will need to:
- Register for a Researchfish account - registration e-mails are usually sent to the PI using the e-mail address used at the time of applying for the grant. Please check that the correct e-mail address is held by the funder. If you have not received an e-mail (also check your Junk Mail folder) then please contact email@example.com.
- Update Researchfish regularly - information can be entered at any time of the year and doing so saves a last minute rush during the submission period.
- Submit your outcomes during the annual submission period - any outcomes entered into the system need to be actively submitted via Researchfish during the submission period. If no outcomes have been achieved during the last year a nil return still needs to be made.
What support is available?
There is plenty of support available, both internally and from Researchfish, to help you with accessing Researchfish and submitting outcomes.
Researchfish provide a wide range of support for researchers in setting up accounts and submitting outcomes. This includes:
- A researcher Webinar to introduce the data entry and submission process
- A short Help Video to help you get started
- Support with individual queries via Live Chat or e-mail
Internally Research and Enterprise Services can also provide support and guidance with using the system. This includes:
- E-mail support via firstname.lastname@example.org
- User Guides (see below)
- Drop in sessions during the submission period - currently unavailable at this time due to remote working