Dr Vicky Kapogianni
- Programme Director for LLB (Law)
- LLM Module Co-convenor for International Organisations and Global Governance (LWMIGG)
Areas of interest
Dr Kapogianni works on areas related to migration and border violence, forced displacement, statehood of states/islands with disappeared territories, and reparations, accountability, and prevention within the transitional justice context. Her work has a strong interdisciplinary character that draws upon EU & International Human Rights Law, Migration and Refugee Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Criminal Law, and Transitional Justice.
Her most recent publications and current leading projects have a three-pronged engagement: first, they examine jurisdictional challenges and accountability gaps owing to the increased reliance on aerial assets (i.e., drones), presented as hybrid strategy for maritime surveillance and for combatting irregular migration. A second strand examines territorial revisions and the reinvention of colonialism (and its accompanying risks of statelessness and genocide) through the pretext of self-determination. The third project examines reparations as an instrument of policy making relevant to societies that have experienced violent uprooting and forced migration.
Vicky welcomes PhD applications that fall within her above areas of interest.
Vicky currently the following modules on the LLB and LLM programmes:
- EU Law (UG) (Module co-convenor)
- Legal Skills (UG)
- Technology, Privacy & Internet Regulation (UG)
- Research Project (UG)
- Law & Society (UG)
- International Organisations & Global Governance (PG Module co-convenor)
- Human Rights Law, Policy & Practice (PG)
Vicky is a Lecturer in EU and International Law and Programme Director for LLB (Law). Prior to joining the University of Reading, Vicky held positions at University of Kent, Newcastle University, Cardiff Metropolitan University, as well as lectured at a number of institutions overseas. Vicky has taught on a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate law modules such as EU Law, International Human Rights Law, Migration and Refugee Law, International Public Law, International Criminal law, International Relations, among other; In 2021, she received the Newcastle education development fund for her project on ‘Beyond Conventional Educational Environments: Videogamising International Law’, where she employed commercial video games to yield higher learning gains and achieve the curriculum’s learning goals and objectives while providing an immersive experience. In 2023, she received the investment in research fund from the University of Kent for her project on ‘Genocide & the Ocean’. The project tackles contemporary global issues that go beyond the terracentric presumptions of genocidal violence and the 'blood & soil’ narratives and explores the hidden maritime dimensions of sea-related violence/group destruction.
PhD (Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University/Columbia University, NY)
LLM (Paris Dauphine University)
LLM (Paris IV-Sorbonne University)
LLM (Paris III-Sorbonne Nouvelle University)
LLB (Paris II, Panthéon-Assas University)
BA (Hons) (Paris IV-Sorbonne University)
- Member of the European Society of International Law (ESIL)
- Member of the International Association of Genocide Scholars (IAGS)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Kapogianni, V. (2022) ‘The Reverberations of the Rise of Fencing Border Regimes: Pushbacks, Detention and Surveillance Technologies’, International Law Blog, ‘International Law in Times of Crisis’, available here.
- Kapogianni, V. (2022) ‘Response to the Joint Committee on Human Rights, Call for Evidence in respect of the recently published British Bill of Rights. Available here.
- Kapogianni, V. Arif W. (2022) Response to the Call for Input/Special Procedures ‘Thematic Report to the UN General Assembly on the Right to Self-Determination’. Submission available here.
- Kapogianni, V. (2022) ‘Response by the Human Rights and Social Justice Forum to the Human Rights Act Reform: A Modern Bill of Rights Open Consultation’. Available here.
- Kapogianni, V. (2022) ‘Clause 45 of the Nationality and Borders Bill: A Quasi-Open Window of Access to Justice’, U.K. Const. L. Blog (24th February 2022), available here.
- Kapogianni, V. (2021) ‘The Multi-Nodal approach of European Peacebuilding’, Agency for Peacebuilding, (26th July 2021) available here.
- Voicu A.V., Kapogianni V., Stanescu R., Voicu B.I. (2020). The Importance of Knowing and Operationalising the Effectiveness-Efficiency-Legality Imperatives in Sports Management and Human Rights, International Sports Law Review – PANDEKTIS, 13 (1-2), pp. 155-166
- Kapogianni, V. (2013). European Union: From the Article 165 TFEU to Reality, Lex Sportiva Journal, 1 (2), pp. 205-211.
- Kapogianni, V. (2012). Redefining the National-European Perception, Digital Legal Library,Theory & Practice of Administrative Law Journal, 4 (5), pp. 461-463, in Greek)
- Kapogianni, V. (2012). Emerging Regions of Self-determination, Regional Science Inquiry Journal, 3 (1), pp. 107-113, (in Greek)
- Kapogianni, V. (2011), Frontiers and Territories: the evolution of the notion of Frontiers and Territories via the process of Partition, Paris, Monograph, Atelier National de Reproduction de These, Université Paris II, Panthéon-Assas.
- Kapogianni, V. (2011). ‘Postmodern transmutation of the European Union’, Antifono, Journal of Sciences, Philosophy, Arts & Theology, available here.
Selected Conference Papers and Presentations
- Kapogianni,V. & Thorne, B. (2024).‘Colonial Violence Heritages and The De-Voiced: Re-Sculpting Participation’, Victims & Transitional Justice: Participation, Mobilisation, Resistance, Conference organised by Justice Visions, 13-15 March 2024, Ghent University, Belgium.
- Kapogianni, V. (2024). Redundant Apologies, Ducked and Dived Reparations: The Authoritarian Grip of Colonial Transgression on Forced Displacement, Paying for the Past, Interdisciplinary Workshop on Displacement, Forced Migration and Reparation- Comparisons and Controversies, 4-5 February 2024, hosted by University of Haifa, organised in collaboration with the Research Group “Paying for the Past” at the Israel Institute of Advanced Studies, the Minerva Centre for the Rule of Law under Extreme Conditions at the University of Haifa, the Jacob Robinson Institute for the History of Individual and Collective Rights at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and the Weidenfeld Institute of Jewish Studies, University of Sussex.
- Kapogianni, V. & Loefflad, E. (2023). Irredentism: A Prospective Triggering Factor Paving the Road to Manifold Forms of Genocide?, Authoritarianism and Genocide: Narratives of Exclusion, 16th Biennal Conference of the International Association of Genocide Studies, 10-14 July 2023, University of Barcelona, Spain.
- Kapogianni, V. (2022). When Weapons Speak, the Law does not Fall Silent: Human Rights Obligations and De Facto control in cases of Belligerent Occupation: Normative Complexities and Complementarities, European Society of International Law & International Law Institute of the Tbilisi State University conference: “Emerging Issues of Relationship between International Humanitarian Law and International Human Rights Law” 29-30 September 2022, Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Kapogianni, V. (2019). The Modern Era of Olympism via the spectrum of human rights: equality, diversity, and inclusion. In: IX International Scientific Congress Proceedings Sport, People and Health. Saint Petersburg: SPb., p. 4.
- Kapogianni, V. (2015). First International Conference on Globalisation and Human Rights Challenges. March 3rd 2015, American University in the Emirates of Dubai, U.A.E
- Kapogianni, V. (2015). International Conference on Sports, Dubai, Sports Management & International Sports Law, Round Table Discussion, Dec. 28-29, 2015, Smart Football, Atlantis the Palm, Dubai, U.A.E
- Kapogianni, V. (2015). Sports & Lex under the Auspices of an International Rex. In: D.P.Panagiotopoulos, ed., Sports Law 22 Years I.A.S.L Lex Sportiva-Lex Olympica & Sports Jurisdiction Experience-Development & Perspective, 20th IASL Congress Proceedings, 1st ed. Athens: EKEAD, pp. 74-83.
- Kapogianni, V. (2014). Video Lecture on the Frontierless International Public Law, within the context of the 20th International Congress of Sports Law – IASL, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, December 11-13, 2014, Athens, Greece, Link
- Genocide & the Ocean, workshop organised in collaboration with Kent Law School, University of Kent, 20 March 2024 (co-organiser)
- Beyond Conventional Educational Environments : Videogamising International Law, a two days’ workshop organised on 1st and 7th September 2022, Newcastle University (co-organiser)
- The 20th Worldwide IASL Congress of Sports Law, organized by the Hellenic Centre of Research on International Sports Law in cooperation with Universities and the International Scientific Centre IASL, 11th-13th December 2014, University of Athens (organiser)
Invited Talks and Lectures
- Videogamising Law: A Smorgasbord for Critical Thinking, Centre for Critical Thought, University of Kent, 23 November 2022
- Kapogianni, V. (2022). Emerging Normative Asymmetries in the Borders-Refugees Landscape: How the Prioritisation of Borders Protection Dismantles Refugees’ Rights, Newcastle Forum for Human Rights and Social Justice, 22 June 2022
- Kapogianni, V. (2021). Human Rights Dynamics in Progress: A Multi-Nodal Joined Up Action to Global Crisis, Mediterranea University of Reggio Calabria, International Centre for Human Rights Research, 15 July 2021
- Kapogianni, V. (2021). International Human Rights Law: An Effective Shield to Humanitarian Crises? Webinar, Faculty of Law, Parul Institute of Law, 2 June 2021
- Kapogianni, V. ORCID: 0000-0002-6512-9054 (2022) When weapons speak the law does not fall silent: human rights obligations and foreign forces’ de facto control in cases of belligerent occupation: normative complexities and complementarities.
- Kapogianni, V. ORCID: 0000-0002-6512-9054 (2022) European dynamic instruments: gatekeepers of human rights, freedoms and principles. In: Viglianisi Ferraro, A. , (eds.) Los 70 años del CEDH y los 20 años de la Carta de Niza. Los derechos fundamentales en Europa y América Latina: objetivos alcanzados y desafíos a afrontar. Ediciones Olejnik , Argentina. pp. 59-73. ISBN: 9789564071336
- Kapogianni, V. ORCID: 0000-0002-6512-9054 (2021) The bifold Cypriot facet: echoes of the UN peacekeeping mechanisms and the politico-legal policies in the COVID-19 era. The Cyprus Review , 33 (1). pp. 167-197. ISSN: 2547-8974