- "Why PCTs Need Ethical Frameworks," (National Prescribing Centre, First Annual Conference on Local Decision-Making, London, March 2010)
- "An English Perception of the Draft Cross-border Access to Health Directive – Balancing Individual Rights and Social Solidarity," (Faculty of Law, Radboud University, Nijmegen, October 2009).
- "The Impact of the NHS Constitution – Balancing Private Rights with Public Duties," (UK Forum on Priority Setting, University of Manchester, September 2009).
- "Topping-Up – Fundamental Ethics, or the Least Worst Option?" (Applied Health Economics Group, London School of Economics, September 2009).
- "A Patient's Bill of Rights for Ontario? – England's Experience with the NHS Constitution," Ontario Ministry of Health, Toronto (June 2009, at the invitation of the Canada Institute for Health).
- "Patients' Rights – Increasing the Intensity of Judicial Review," Fourth International Conference on Priority Setting in Health Care (September 2008, Newcastle/Gateshead Conference Centre, co-ordinated by the University of Newcastle).
- "Access to Health Care in the UK – Law, Rights and Bioethics" (Faculty of Law, University of Rotterdam, September 2008).
- "Preserving Social Citizenship in Health Care Markets" (British Association of Canadian Studies, Canada House, Conference on Health Law and Policy in Canada and the UK, July 2008).
- "The ECJ, Trans-national Health Care and Social Citizenship – Accidental Death of a Concept?" (Faculty of Law, University of Wisconsin, USA, March 2008, as part of the conference on Health Care Tourism -–US-EU Dialogue).
- Liberty, or Equality? Individualism and Communitarianism? (Wellcome Trust Biomedical Ethics Summer School, Public Health: Justice, Autonomy and the Common Good, University of Leicester, September 2007).
- Health Care Rights and Distributive Justice. (7th Annual Conference of the UK Clinical Ethics Network, Portsmouth, May 2007).
Teaching the following modules on the LLB:
- Medical Law
- Contract Law
Areas of interest
- Health law
- Pharmaceutical law
- Product liability
Chris has supervised postgraduate research students working on the following topics:
- EU healthcare rights and social solidarity
- product liability.
Chris Newdick is a barrister and the Professor of Health Law.
His special interests concern the rights and duties arising within the National Health Service. He teaches a popular course on the subject in the School of Law. His teaching and supervision is informed by his research in the area and his experience as a member of the Department of Health's Medicines Commission, as an Honorary Consultant to Berkshire West PCT, a member of the Berkshire Priorities Committee, an advisor to the BMA Working Party on NHS Rationing and the NHS National Prescribing Committee.
Academic qualificationsBA, CNAA.; LLM (London); Barrister
- Member of Berkshire Priorities Committee
- Honorary Consultant to Berkshire West PCT
- "Promoting Access and Equity in Health – Assessing the National Health Service in England," in (eds) C. Flood and A. Gross, The Right to Health at the Public/Private Divide: A Global Comparative Study pp. 107–28 (Cambridge University Press, 2014)
- Editorial: (with J. Raftery) "Why there is No Legal or Medical Justification for the Saatchi Bill," (2014) 348 BMJ 3464.
- "Culture, Compassion and Clinical Neglect: Probity in the NHS after Mid Staffordshire," (with Dr C Danbury) (2013) Journal of Medical Ethics JME - Culture, compassion and clinical neglect
- Editorial: "Treating failed asylum seekers in the NHS", (2009) 338 BMJ 1614.
- "The European Court of Justice, Transnational Health Care, and Social Citizenship – Accidental Death of a Concept?, (2009), 26 Wisconsin International Law Journal 845–68.
- "Judicial Review: Low-Priority Treatment and Exceptional Case Review" (2007), 15 Medical Law Review, 236–244.
- Who Should We Treat? – Rights, Rationing and Resources in the NHS (2nd ed, Oxford University Press, 2005) XX+278.
- Danbury, C. , Newdick, C. , Keene, A. , Waldmann, C. (2020) Pandemic planning after Covid-19. In: Danbury, C. , Newdick, C. , Keene, A. , Waldmann, C. , (eds.) Law and Ethics in Intensive Care - Second Edition. Oxford University Press pp. 215-234. ISBN: 9780198817161
- Newdick, C. and Danbury, C. (2020) Promoting the best possible death: futility in terminally ill patients who lack capacity. In: Danbury, C. , Newdick, C. , Keene, A. , Waldmann, C. , (eds.) Law and Ethics in Intensive Care - Second Edition. Oxford University Press pp. 111-136. ISBN: 9780198817161
- Danbury, C. , Newdick, C. , Keene, A. , Waldmann, C. , eds. (2020) Law and ethics in intensive care - second edition. Oxford University Press ISBN: 9780198817161
- Newdick, C. , Sheehan, M. , Dunn, M. (2020) Tragic choices in intensive care during the COVID-19 pandemic: on fairness, consistency and community. Journal of Medical Ethics , 46 pp. 646-651. ISSN: 1473-4257 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/medethics-2020-106487
- Newdick, C. (2018) Can judges ration with compassion? A priority-setting rights matrix. Health and Human Rights Journal , 20 (1). pp. 107-120. ISSN: 2150-4113
- Blakeman, A. , Littlejohns, P. , Newdick, C. , Routledge, P. , Williams, I. , Cass, K. (2017) Independent review of the individual patient funding request process in Wales. Welsh Government (Report for the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport)
- Newdick, C. (2017) Health equality, social justice and the poverty of autonomy. Health Economics, Policy and Law , 12 (4). pp. 411-433. ISSN: 1744-134X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1744133117000093
- Newdick, C. (2016) Global capitalism and the crisis of the public interest – sleepwalking into disaster. In: Breau, S. and Samuel, K. , (eds.) Research Handbook on Disasters and International Law. Research Handbooks in International Law Edward Elgar , Cheltenham. pp. 23-45. ISBN: 9781784717391
- Newdick, C. (2015) Bioethics through the telescope: institutional ethics in the NHS. In: Ferguson, P. and Laurie, G. , (eds.) Inspiring a medico-legal revolution : essays in honour of Sheila McLean. Ashgate , Farnham. pp. 125-136. ISBN: 9781472434289
- Newdick, C. and Raftery, J. (2014) Why there is no legal or medical justification for the Saatchi Bill. BMJ Open , 348 ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g3464
- Newdick, C. (2014) Promoting access and equity in health: assessing the National Health Service in England. In: Flood, C. and Gross, A. , (eds.) The Right to Health at the Public/Private Divide: A Global Comparative Study. Cambridge University Press pp. 107-128. ISBN: 9781107038301
- Newdick, C. (2014) Health care rights and NHS rationing: turning theory into practice. Revista Portuguesa de Saúde Pública , 32 (2). pp. 151-157. ISSN: 0870-9025 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rpsp.2014.07.001
- Newdick, C. (2014) From Hippocrates to commodities: three models of NHS governance. Medical Law Review , 22 (2). pp. 162-179. ISSN: 1464-3790 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/medlaw/fwu010
- Newdick, C. and Danbury, C. (2013) Culture, compassion and clinical neglect: probity in the NHS after Mid Staffordshire. Journal of Medical Ethics , 41 (12). pp. 956-962. ISSN: 1473-4257 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/medethics-2012-101048
- Newdick, C. (2012) Re-balancing the rationing debate: tackling the tensions between individual and community rights. In: den Exter, A. and Buijsen, M. , (eds.) Rationing Health Care: Hard Choices and Unavoidable Trade-offs. Maklu , Antwerp. pp. 153-170. ISBN: 9789046605257
- Newdick, C. (2011) Disrupting the community: saving public health ethics from the EU internal market. In: van de Gronden , J. , Szyszczak , E. , Neergaard , U. , Krajewski, M. , (eds.) Health Care and EU Law. Legal Issues of Services of General Interest Asser Press , The Hague. pp. 211-239. ISBN: 9789067047272
- Newdick, C. , Danbury, C. , Lawson, A. , Waldmann, C. (2010) Reverse triage?: managing scarce resoures in intensive care. Law and ethics in intensive care. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 191-211. ISBN: 9780199562039
- Newdick, C. and Danbury, C. (2010) The best interests of babies and young children. In: Danbury, C. , Newdick, C. , Waldmann, C. , Lawson, A. , (eds.) Law and ethics in intensive care. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 69-88. ISBN: 9780199562039
- Newdick, C. (2008) The European Court of Justice, trans-national health care, and social citizenship: accidental death of a concept?. Wisconsin International Law Journal , 26 (3). pp. 844-867. ISSN: 0743-7951
- Newdick, C. (2008) Solidarity, rights and social welfare in the NHS: resisting the tide of bioethics?. In: den Exter, A. , (eds.) International Health Law: Solidarity and Justice in Health Care . Maklu , Antwerp. pp. 83-94. ISBN: 9789046602003
- Newdick, C. (2008) Preserving social citizenship in health care markets - There may be trouble ahead. McGill Journal of Law and Health , 2 (2008). pp. 93-108.
- Newdick, C. (2007) Charities in the health care market: Can trust survive NHS competition?. King's Law Journal , 18 pp. 415-426. ISSN: 0961-5768