- Invited participant, Symposium "Law, Time and Futures", 15-17 November 2018, IASS Potsdam, Germany.
- "Rights Framing and Fracking in the UK: The Owl of Minerva?", workshop, "Fracking Europe. Multidisciplinary perspectives on a checkered technology", 8-9 November 2018, Environmental Science Center (ESC), University of Augsburg, Germany.
- Invited participant, Workshop on Trump, Brexit, and Environmental Law, University of Notre Dame (USA) in England, London, 17 April 2018.
- Co-organiser of the conference (and panel Chair), "Strategic Litigation in Practice", Bonavero Institute of Human Rights, Mansfield College, Oxford, 14 Feb 2018.
- "Framing Time in Climate Change Litigation", SLS conference, Dublin, 5 September 2017.
- "Framing Time in Climate Change Litigation", workshop, Regulating Climate Change: Governance and Legal Mobilization, IISL, Onati, Spain, 27-28 July 2017.
- "Framing Time in Climate Change Litigation", workshop on Climate Change Litigation and Legal Mobilization, UCL Department of Political Science and School of Public Policy, 21 July 2017.
- "The Movement Against Nuclear Power in the 1970s: Protest, Litigation and Opportunity Theory", panel, Explaining Variation in European Legal Mobilization, 24th International Conference of Europeanists (CES), Glasgow, 13 July 2017.
- "Legal Mobilization and Climate Displacement", paper presented at workshop, "Climate displacement and resettlement: what scope for claims-making 'from below'?", University of Reading, 21 February 2017.
- Paper on Brexit and the Environment at the British Academy event, "Brexit and the Environment: A Roundtable", 30th January 2017.
- Keynote presentation on Brexit and the Environment at a workshop "The Future of European Policy in the European Union", 19-20 January 2017, Centre for European Research, University of Gothenburg.
- "The Impact of Brexit on the Environment: Exploring the Dynamics of a Complex Relationship", Journal of Environmental Law workshop, Re-Imagining Environmental Law in an Age of Sovereignty and Control, University of Edinburgh, 23rd Nov 2016.
- "Substantive Environmental Rights in the EU: Doomed to Disappoint", European Forum of Judges for the Environment Conference 2016, Bucharest, 18-19 Nov 2016.
- Chaired the workshop "Strategic Litigation to Promote Environmental Rights" at the conference, Litigating for Social Change, 19-21 October 2016, Belfast.
- "Substantive Environmental Rights in the EU: Doomed to Disappoint?", paper presented at 'Environmental Rights in Europe and Beyond' conference, Lund University, Sweden, 21-22 April 2016.
- "Ecological citizenship in the Laudato Si'", paper presented at a roundtable meeting on the environmental implications of the Pope's Encyclical on the Environment, organised by the University of Oxford's Foundation for Law, Justice and Society in association with the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Worcester College, Oxford, 10 March 2016.
- "Mapping Climate Change Adjudication", symposium on climate change adjudication, 'Adjudicating the Future: Climate Change & the Rule of Law', King's College London (and the FCO and Supreme Court), 17-19 September 2015.
- "Litigation Against Fracking Bans and Moratoriums in the US: Exit, Voice and Loyalty", SLS Conference, University of York, 1 September 2015.
- Teaching the following LLB modules: Tort, Environmental Law, EU Law
- Division Impact Lead, 2016-
Areas of interest
- UK and EU environmental law and policy
- Law and social movements
- Law and climate change
- EU law
Postgraduate research students supervised:
- Vicky Bowyer (awarded 2002) LLM by Research on Environmental Impact Assessment
- Tim Moorhead (awarded 2011) PhD, Values and Legal Order: The Institutional Role of the European Court of Justice
- Clemens Rieder (awarded 2012) PhD, Access to Health Services in EU Law
- Amy Jackson (awarded 2012) PhD, Critical Legal Pluralism and Veiling
- David Yuratich (awarded 2014) PhD, Democracy and the Court of Justice
- Congcong Xu (awarded 2017) PhD, Law and Climate Geoengineering
- Behnam Balalimood (awarded 2018) PhD, EU Long-term Resident's Directive
- Hazel Lobo (2017-) Waste Regulation
- Selam Abebe (2018-) International Climate Compliance.
Professor Chris Hilson joined the School of Law of the University of Reading in 1996 from the Environmental Services Association, where he acted for a short time as a policy advisor to the waste industry. Prior to that he was a lecturer in law at the University of Leeds from 1993-1996.
His PhD from the University of Sheffield involved a study of pollution control in its regulatory context. He was the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Environmental Law from 2008-2012 and has acted as an adviser on environmental law to NGOs including ClientEarth and Friends of the Earth.
His current research interests are in the areas of UK, EU and comparative environmental law and policy, climate law, and law and social movements.
Academic qualificationsBA (Cambridge), MA (Cantab), PhD (Sheffield).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of Environmental Law (OUP) 2012-
- Editor, Journal of Environmental Law (2007-2012)
- Legal Adviser to ClientEarth
- Member of the editorial board of the Review of European Administrative Law (Europa Law Publishing) (2007-)
- Book reviews editor, Journal of Environmental Law (2002-2007)
- Book reviews editor, Environmental Law Review (2001-2002)
- Involved in completed research project "Strategies of Civic Inclusion in Pan-European Civil Society" as part of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) research programme "One Europe or Several? The Dynamics of Change Across Europe"
- Expert witness for Friends of the Earth Scotland, Letham Moss CBM PLI, Scotland, 28-31 March 2014
- 'Balancing Human Rights, Environmental Protection, and International Trade - Lessons from the EU Experience by Emily Reid', book review, Yearbook of European Law 2015
'Full text' articles available
- "The EU and UK as both good and bad influences", 31 January 2017
- Hilson, C. (2016) "Litigation against fracking bans and moratoriums in the US: exit, voice and loyalty". William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review, 40 (3). pp. 745-768. ISSN 1943-1104
- "The EU Referendum: Brexit, Solidarity and Identity" DELI Blog, Durham European Law Institute, 18 July 2016
- "Adjudicating the Future: Climate Change and the Rule of Law: A Review of Proceedings", September 2015, Walker Institute
- "Who pays for climate change damages? A discussion of the Peruvian farmer vs RWE", Walker Institute, Comment
- "It's All About Climate Change, Stupid! Exploring the Relationship Between Environmental Law and Climate Law" (2013) 25(3) Journal of Environmental Law 359-370
- "The Courts and Social Movements: Two Literatures and Two Methodologies", Mobilizing Ideas, 18 Feb 2013
- "Climate Change Litigation: An Explanatory Approach (Or Bringing Grievance Back I", In F Fracchia and M Occhiena (eds), Climate Change: La Riposta del Diritto, (Editoriale Scientifica, Naples 2010), 421-436.
- "Risk And The European Convention On Human Rights Hilson", The Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 2008-2009, Volume 11 (Hart Publishing 2009), 353-375.
- "Framing the Local and the Global in the Anti-Nuclear Movement: Law and the Politics of Place", (2009), 36(1) Journal of Law & Society, 94-109.
- "Let's Get Physical: Civil Liability and the Perception of Risk", (2009), Journal of Environmental Law, 21, 33-57 (doi:10.1093/jel/eqn027).
- Peterson, K. , Allen, M. , Hilson, C. , Jones, C. , Reay, D. , Smith, S. (2021) Destination net zero: setting and delivering ambitious, credible targets. COP26 Universities Network Briefing
- Hilson, C. (2020) Hitting the target? Analysing the use of targets in climate law. Journal of Environmental Law , 32 (2). pp. 195-220. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqaa004
- Hilson, C. (2019) Climate populism, courts, and science. Journal of Environmental Law , 31 (3). pp. 395-398. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqz021
- Hilson, C. (2019) Sensitivity in the law of nuisance: should people in glass houses expect voyeurs? Fearn v Tate Gallery. Environmental Law Review , 21 (2). pp. 136-139. ISSN: 1461-4529 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1461452919843663
- Hilson, C. (2019) Law, courts and populism: climate change litigation and the narrative turn. In: Sterett, S. and Walker, L. , (eds.) Research Handbook on Law and Courts. Edward Elgar ISBN: 9781788113199
- Arnall, A. , Hilson, C. , McKinnon, C. (2019) Climate displacement and resettlement: the importance of claims-making ‘from below’. Climate Policy , 19 (6). pp. 665-671. ISSN: 1469-3062 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14693062.2019.1570065
- Hilson, C. (2019) Framing time in climate change litigation. Onati Socio-Legal Series , 9 (3). pp. 361-379. ISSN: 2079-5971 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.35295/osls.iisl/0000-0000-0000-1063
- Hilson, C. (2018) The Polluter Pays Principle in the Privy Council: Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (Appellant) v The Minister of Planning, Housing and the Environment (Respondent) (Trinidad and Tobago)  UKPC 37. Journal of Environmental Law , 30 (3). pp. 507-517. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqy022
- Hilson, C. (2018) Substantive environmental rights in the EU: doomed to disappoint?. In: Bogojevic, S. and Rayfuse, R. , (eds.) Environmental Rights in Europe and Beyond. Swedish Studies in European Law Hart Publishing pp. 87-103. ISBN: 9781509911110
- Hilson, C. (2018) The impact of Brexit on the environment: exploring the dynamics of a complex relationship. Transnational Environmental Law , 7 (1). pp. 89-113. ISSN: 2047-1033 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S2047102517000279
- Hilson, C. (2018) The visibility of environmental rights in the EU legal order: eurolegalism in action?. Journal of European Public Policy , 25 (11). pp. 1589-1609. ISSN: 1466-4429 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2017.1329335
- Hilson, C. (2018) Republican ecological citizenship in the 2015 Papal Encyclical on the environment and climate change. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy , 21 (6). pp. 754-766. ISSN: 1743-8772 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13698230.2017.1315871
- Hilson, C. (2016) Litigation against fracking bans and moratoriums in the US: exit, voice and loyalty. William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review , 40 (3). pp. 745-768. ISSN: 1943-1104
- Hilson, C. (2016) Environmental SLAPPs in the UK: threat or opportunity?. Environmental Politics , 25 (2). pp. 248-267. ISSN: 1743-8934 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09644016.2015.1105176
- Hilson, C. (2015) Framing fracking: which frames are heard in English planning and environmental policy and practice?. Journal of Environmental Law , 27 (2). pp. 177-202. ISSN: 1464-374X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/equ036
- Hilson, C. (2014) Unconventional gas and statutory climate duties: their significance for planning law in the UK. Journal of Planning and Environment Law , 2014 (9). pp. 952-960. ISSN: 0307-4870
- Hilson, C. (2013) The courts and social movements: two literatures and two methodologies. Mobilizing Ideas
- Hilson, C. (2013) It's all about climate change, stupid! Exploring the relationship between environmental law and climate law. Journal of Environmental Law , 25 (3). pp. 359-370. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqt019
- Hilson, C. (2013) The margin of appreciation, domestic irregularity and domestic court rulings in ECHR environmental jurisprudence: Global legal pluralism in action. Global Constitutionalism , 2 (2). pp. 262-286. ISSN: 2045-3825 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S2045381713000075
- Vanhala, L. and Hilson, C. (2013) Climate change litigation: symposium introduction. Law and Policy , 35 (3). pp. 141-149. ISSN: 0265-8240 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/lapo.12007
- Hilson, C. (2013) Common but differentiated responsibilities in EU climate change law: a case of double standards?. In: Evans, M. and Koutrakos, P. , (eds.) The international responsibility of the European Union: European and international perspectives. Hart , Oxford. pp. 275-293. ISBN: 9781849463287
- Hilson, C. (2012) UK climate change litigation: between hard and soft framing. In: Farrall, S. , Ahmed, T. , French, D. , (eds.) Criminological and legal consequences of climate change. Oñati International Series in Law and Society Hart Publishing (1). , Oxford. pp. 47-61. ISBN: 9781849461863
- Hilson, C. (2010) EU environmental solidarity and the ecological consumer: towards a republican citizenship. In: Ross, M. and Borgmann-Prebil, Y. , (eds.) Promoting solidarity in the European Union. OUP , Oxford, UK. pp. 136-150. ISBN: 9780199583188
- Hilson, C. (2010) Climate change litigation: an explanatory approach (or bringing grievance back in). In: Fracchia, F. and Occhiena, M. , (eds.) Climate change: la riposta del diritto . Editoriale Scientifica, Naples pp. 421-436. ISBN: 9788863422061
- Hilson, C. (2009) Toward a thicker constitutional patriotism? book review of Jan-Werner Müller: Constitutional Patriotism (Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2007). The Review of Politics , 71 pp. 159-162. ISSN: 0034-6705 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0034670509000230
- Hilson, C. (2009) Let's get physical: Civil liability and the perception of risk. Journal of Environmental Law , 21 pp. 33-57. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqn027
- Hilson, C. (2009) Framing the local and the global in the anti-nuclear movement: Law and the politics of place. Journal of Law and Society , 36 (1). pp. 94-109. ISSN: 0263-323X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6478.2009.00458.x
- Hilson, C. (2009) Risk and the European convention on human rights: Towards a new approach . The Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 2008-2009. , 11. Hart Publishing 2009 pp. 353-375. ISBN: 9781841139579
- Hilson, C. (2008) Environmental citizenship. In: Cane, . and Conaghan, . , (eds.) The New Oxford Companion to Law. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 386-387. ISBN: 9780199290543
- Hilson, C. (2008) Rights and principles in EU law: a distinction without foundation?. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law , 15 (2). pp. 193-215. ISSN: 1023-263X
- Hilson, C. (2008) The unpatriotism of the economic constitution? Rights to free movement and their impact on national and European identity. European law Journal , 14 (2). pp. 182-202. ISSN: 1351-5993 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0386.2007.00410.x
- Hilson, C. (2008) Going local? EU law, localism and climate change. European Law Review , 33 (2). pp. 194-210. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Hilson, C. (2007) Review of The Yearbook of European Environmental Law. Environmental Law Review , 4 pp. 72-74. ISSN: 1461-4529
- Hilson, C. (2007) Legitimacy and rights in the EU: questions of identity. Journal of European Public Policy , 14 (4). pp. 527-543. ISSN: 1350-1763 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13501760701314334
- Hilson, C. (2006) Policies, the non-fetter principle and the principle of substantive legitimate expectations: Between a rock and a hard place?. Judicial Review , 11 (4). pp. 289-293. ISSN: 1085-4681
- Hilson, C. (2006) EU citizenship and the principle of affectedness. In: Bellamy, . , Castiglione, . , Shaw, . , (eds.) Making European Citizens: Civic Inclusion in a Transnational Context. Palgrave , London. pp. 56-74. ISBN: 9780333973776
- Hilson, C. (2005) Information disclosure and the regulation of traded product risks. Journal of Environmental Law , 17 (3). pp. 305-322. ISSN: 0952-8873 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jel/eqi031
- Hilson, C. (2005) Beyond rationality? Judicial review and public concern in the EU and WTO. Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly , 56 (3). pp. 320 - 341. ISSN: 0029-3105
- Hilson, C. (2005) The role of discretion in EC law on non-contractual liability. Common Market Law Review , 42 (3). pp. 677 - 695. ISSN: 0165-0750
- Hilson, C. (2004) Planning law and public perceptions of risk: Evidence of concern or concern based on evidence. Journal of Planning and Environment Law pp. 1638-1648. ISSN: 0307-4870
- Hilson, C. (2004) Review of Jans, J. (ed.), The European Convention and the Future of European Environmental Law, Europa Publishing, 2003. Common Market Law Review , 41 pp. 263-265. ISSN: 0165-0750
- Hilson, C. (2004) What's in a right? The relationship between community, fundamental and citizenship rights in EU law. European Law Review , 29 pp. 636-651. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Hilson, C. (2004) Legality review of member state discretion under directives. In: Tridimas, . and Nebbia, . , (eds.) European Union Law for the Twenty-First Century. , 1. Hart , Oxford. pp. 223-238. ISBN: 9781841134567
- Hilson, C. and French, . (2003) Regulating GM products in the EU: Risk, precaution and international trade. In: Cardwell, . , Rodgers, . , Grossman, . , (eds.) Agriculture and International Trade: Law, Policy and the WTO. CABI Publishing , Wallingford. pp. 215 - 238. ISBN: 9780851996639
- Hilson, C. (2003) The Europeanisation of English administrative law: Judicial review and convergence. European Public Law , 9 (1). pp. 125 - 145. ISSN: 1354-3725