Dr Saeed Bagheri
Areas of Interest
Public international law: the law on the use of force (jus ad bellum), the law of armed conflict (jus in bello), human rights law, peace-building, terrorism, arms control and disarmament.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) The Paths to Peace in the Post-Islamic State Iraq. Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice, 31 (4) (forthcoming).
- Bagheri, S. (2018) Expanding Nuclear Threats to Peace: Prospects for the Non-Proliferation Regime. International Journal on World Peace, 35 (3). pp. 9-44.
- Bagheri, S. (2018) The Legal Aspects of Turkey's War Against the PKK: A Case for Self-Defence within the Context of International Law. Hungarian Yearbook of International Law and European Law (2017). pp. 155-172.
- Bagheri, S. (2017) The Military Use of Children by the Syrian-Iraqi Salafi-Jihadist Group. Russian Law Journal, 5 (1) pp. 79-97.
- Bagheri, S. (2016) Towards Fulfillment of Fundamental Rules of Humanitarian Law in the Context of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). BRICS Law Journal, 3 (1). pp. 66-89.
- Bagheri, S. (2015) Iran's Attitude to Security in the Strait of Hormuz: An International Law Perspective. New Zealand Yearbook of International Law (13). pp. 83-106.
- Bagheri, S. (2015) Self-Defense in Karabakh Conflict. Russian Law Journal, 3 (4). pp. 150-164.
- Bagheri, S. (2015) The Legal Framework of the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy: The Possibilities and Limitations (in Turkish). Energy and Diplomacy Journal, 1 (4). pp. 116-141.
- Bagheri, S. (2014) International Humanitarian Law and Use of Nuclear Weapons Against Terrorism (in Turkish). Gazi University Faculty of Law Review, 18 (3-4). pp. 931-954.
- Bagheri, S. (2013) Evaluating the Decision of International Court of Justice Concerning the Oil Platforms (in Turkish). Gazi University Faculty of Law Review, 17 (1-2). pp. 1155-1180.
- Bagheri, S. (2013) Extradition and the Obligation to Prosecute of Offenders in International Law (aut dedere aut judicare) (in Turkish). Ankara University Faculty of Law Review, 62 (1). pp. 1-40.
- Bagheri, S. (2012) Extradition in the Practice of European Court of Human Rights and Human Rights Committee of UN (in Persian). Journal of Legal Research, 11 (2). pp. 25-52.
- Bagheri S. (2019) "Gender Inequality and Women in Decision-Making in Post-War Societies: Lessons from the Iraqi Kurdistan", Edinburgh Centre for International and Global Law's Working Paper Series.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) Book review: Mark S. Ellis, Yves Doutriaux and Timothy W. Rybac, Justice and Diplomacy: Resolving Contradictions in Diplomatic Practice and International Humanitarian Law. Journal of International Humanitarian Legal Studies 10 (1). pp. 103-106.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) Book review: Markus Thiel, European Civil Society and Human Rights Advocacy. International Human Rights Law Review 8 (1). pp. 149-152.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) Book review: Thomas W. Smith, Human Rights and War Through Civilian Eyes. Human Rights Review 20 (2). pp. 265-266.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) Book review: Yishai Beer, Military Professionalism and Humanitarian Law: The Struggle to Reduce the Hazards of War. Journal of Conflict and Security Law 24 (1). pp. 171-173.
- Bagheri, S. (2019) Book review: Fog, Warlike and Peaceful Societies: The Interaction of Genes and Culture. International Journal on World Peace 36 (1). pp. 95-98.
- Bagheri, S. and Bagheri, A., Civilian Life at Risk in Iran: The Hard-Hitting Effects of the US Economic Sanctions. Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (25 April 2019).
- Bagheri, S., Turkish Local Elections: What Does the Delayed Declaration of Election Results Mean? Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (25 April 2019).
- Bagheri S. (2018) "The Constitutional Referendum to Create the New Republic of Artsakh in Nagorno-Karabakh: The Perspective of International Law", European University Institute Max Weber Working Paper.
- Bagheri, S., Iran-US Tensions and Contradictory Approaches to the International Legal Obligations. Euronews (27 July 2018).
- Bagheri, S., The Iranian Military Intervention in Syria as a Matter of Jus Contra Bellum? Leiden Law Blog (17 April 2018).
- Bagheri, S., Human Rights and Iran in 2018. Australian Outlook (21 January 2018).
- Bagheri, S., Understanding the Scattered Anti-Government Uprisings in Iran: Willing to Regime Change or Legitimate Demands for Socio-Economic Human Rights? Cambridge International Law Journal (18 January 2018).
- Bagheri, S., .Self-Defence Against the PKK? The Turkish Approach to International Law. Völkerrechtsblog (22 December 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Civilian Victims of the Conflicts Over Oil Refineries in Kirkuk. Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (04 November 2017).
- Bagheri, S., An Iraqi Kurdish Independence Referendum. Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (25 September 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Iran's Aspiration to Establish Peace and Security in the Middle East: Closer to Hegemony or International Law? Denver Journal of International Law and Policy (20 September 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Women in the Iranian Labour Market: Infringement of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (14 August 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Can President Rouhani Promote Human Rights in Iran? Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (30 June 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Is the Turkish Constitutional Referendum a Reflection of Democracy? Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (26 April 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Time to Rethink the Continuing State of Emergency in Turkey. Denver Journal of International Law and Policy (online) (18 April 2017).
- Bagheri, S., What's Going on in Turkey? The Point of View of Saeed Bagheri. Interview with Droit Constitutionnel De l'ISJPS (Institut Des Sciences Juridique & Philosophique De La Sorbonne) on (15 April 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Iran's Ballistic Missile Tests: Legal and Political Challenges. Völkerrechtsblog (14 April 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Derogating from Fundamental Human Rights under the Turkish State of Emergency. Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH) (24 March 2017).
- Bagheri, S. and Nejati, S, Tense Times for the Iran Nuclear Deal. The Interpreter: Lowy Institute for International Policy (13 February 2017).
- Bagheri, S. and Nejati, S, How Does Turkey Justify Military Intervention in Syria?. Eurasia Review (30 January 2017).
- Bagheri, S., Turkish Military Intervention in Mosul: A Legal and Political Perspective. EJIL: Talk! (27 January 2017).
- Bagheri, S., International Humanitarian Law and Counterterrorism: Turkey and the PKK. Foreign Policy Association (11 March 2016).
- Bagheri, S., Iran-U.S. Confrontation in the Persian Gulf: An International Law Perspective. Foreign Policy Association (22 February 2016).
- Bagheri, S., Nuclear Disarmament in the Context of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT): A Humanitarian Perspective. Global Research: Centre for Research on Globalization (23 October 2015).
Conference Papers and Presentations
- "The Role of the Kurdish Women in Decision-Making Process in Post-Islamic State Iraq: A Case for Gender Equality in Post-War Societies", presented at the Inaugural Edinburgh-Glasgow International Law Workshop, Edinburgh, UK, 8-9 April 2019.
- "The Role of the Kurdish Identity in Falling the Islamic State War in Iraq and the Peace-Building Process in the Post-Islamic State Iraq", presented at the International Conference on "Identity and Memory in War and Peacebuilding", Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, UK, 2nd July 2018.
- "The Legal Aspects of War to Peace Transitions in Post-Islamic State Iraq", presented at the 12th Max Weber Conference on the States, Societies and Crises Across Time and Space, European University Institute (EUI), Florence, Italy, 13 June 2018.
- "From the Failed Disarmament Policy of the Non-Proliferation Regime to the Rise of New Nuclear Powers", presented at the International Peace Studies Conference, Academic Council on the United Nations System (ACUNS), Vienna, Austria, 29 May 2018.
- "The Peace-Building Role of the Natural/Energy Resource Management in Post-Islamic State Iraq", presented at the Conference on the Nature of Peace, Pufendorf Institute of Advanced Studies, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 26 April 2018.
- "The Quest for Energy Resources as a Source of Armed Conflicts in the Middle East: An International Law Perspective", presented at the Max Weber Lecture/Presentations, European University Institute (EUI), Florence, Italy, 12-21 September 2017.
BA (Tabriz), MA (Tehran), PhD (Ankara)
Saeed joined the School of Law as a Postdoctoral Fellow in August 2019. His research explores the war on Islamic State in Iraq and Syria with a current focus on the law of armed conflict, the use of force and peace-building. Prior to joining the Law School, he was a Max Weber Post-Doctoral Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI). During the currency of his post at the EUI, he worked on a project relating to the legality of the extra-territorial use of military force in international law. He presented the findings of that research in numerous international conferences held at the Edinburgh Law School, Lund University, Liverpool Hope University and the EUI.
Saeed has been a visiting fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge (Summer 2018), and a visiting scholar at the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies at Leiden University Law School (Spring 2018). Prior to his postdoctoral positions, he served as an Assistant Professor of Public International Law at Akdeniz University in Turkey (2015-17).
He studied Human Rights Law and Public International Law in Iran and Turkey. He received his Ph.D. in Public International Law from Ankara University in 2015. Saeed's primary areas of research and teaching are international law on the use of force and the law of armed conflict.
Saeed is a member of the Global Law at Reading (GLAR) grouping and an associate member of the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law (ANZSIL). He is also serving as the Oxford Human Rights Hub's Regional Correspondent for the Middle East and as an editorial board member for the journal of Economics, Law and Policy (Scholink).