The University of Reading is supporting the China Scholarship Council Studentship competition for 2023.
The University of Reading is delighted to offer two scholarships for PhD study at Reading, offering joint funding alongside the China Scholarship Council (CSC). The scholarships will be available to two selected candidates who are successful in securing China Scholarship Council (CSC) funding for October 2023.
What is available?
There are two awards available for entry in Autumn 2023.
Under this funding opportunity, the University will fund the tuition fee and a £1,000 per year training and development allowance, while CSC funding provides an annual living allowance that includes overseas student health cover and visa application fees.
Who is eligible?
Specific eligibility criteria can be found on the CSC website and include the following.
- Candidates must be citizens and permanent residents of the People's Republic of China at the time of application.
- Candidates must not be working abroad at the time of application.
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research.
- Candidates must hold an academic offer from the University to commence study in the relevant academic year. They must, therefore, fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by the University of Reading, including a high level of English language proficiency.
- Candidates must be intending to pursue study/research in one of the priority academic areas identified by the University of Reading and CSC.
- Candidates must satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC and complete the documentation required by the CSC.
How to apply
To be considered for these awards, you must apply online for admission to the University of Reading by Friday 6th January 2023, stating in the application that you are applying for a University of Reading/China Scholarship Council joint scholarship. Indicate on your admissions application (when prompted for details of the funding you are applying for) that you wish to be considered for the China Scholarship Council studentships. Please spell out in full, as there are other organisations that use the abbreviation CSC.
Send a brief email to the Doctoral Studentships Officer (email@example.com) no later than Friday 6th January 2023 indicating that you wish to be considered for the University of Reading/CSC competition.
By 28 February 2023, the University will provide eligible candidates (those who meet the CSC eligibility criteria and hold a place of admissions with the University of Reading) with a letter confirming that the University will cover the cost of their tuition fees subject to them obtaining CSC support and subject to a final University process to select two awardees. It should be noted that no more than two University of Reading awards are available.
After receiving this letter from the University, candidates must then apply to the CSC by its stated deadline, submitting:
- a hard copy of a completed CSC application form, together with a completed Employer Reference form (both available on their website).
- a copy of the full application to the University, together with any supporting documents
- a copy of an admissions offer from the University and accompanying support letter.
The China Scholarship Council will evaluate the candidates according to their requirements and priorities and inform candidates; final decisions lie with the CSC. If you are awarded a CSC studentship, you should provide documentation of the award to the University within two weeks. Once informed of CSC awards, a final funding offer from the University of Reading will then be made to the two selected candidates.
Applicants who fail to apply as instructed above will not be eligible.