Professor Teresa Murjas
Areas of interest
- Practice-led research (read more about my practice-led projects)
- Multi-media performance (read more about related projects: Surviving Objects)
- Translation and interculturalism
- Memory, materiality and the archive (read more about current projects)
- Polish theatre and film (Read more to view my publications: The Morality of Mrs. Dulska: A Play by Gabriela Zapolska (2007), Zapolska's Women (2010), Invisible Country: four Polish Plays (2013))
- Holocaust Representation in Theatre and Film
- European Naturalism.
I currently supervise six postgraduate students, all of whom are conducting PhDs by practice. Their projects cover the following areas: memory, materiality and the archive; multi-media performance; conflict and representation; verbatim performance; contemporary political performance; storytelling practices; performance art and the body; durational performance; disability and representation; playwriting, textuality and the digital; belly dance, feminism and post-colonialism.
I welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students wishing to employ practice-as-research as a methodology, and those keen to complete a more conventional thesis.
- Introduction to Film and Theatre (Year 1)
- Critical Practice in Film and Theatre (Year 1)
- Practical Option: Theatre (Year 3)
- Representing Conflict on Stage and Screen (Year 3)
- Theatre performance analysis (MA by Research in Theatre)
- Dissertation/Independent project supervision (BA and MA).
Research centres and groups
- Minority Histories and Cultures (AHRC)
- Modern European Histories and Cultures (AHRC)
- Reading in Conflict (Arts Council).
- Murjas, T. (2020) 'The Biscuit Town': digital practice, spatiality and discoverability in Reading's heritage sector. Body, Space & Technology , 19 (1). pp. 153-173. ISSN: 1470-9120 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.16995/bst.337
- Murjas, T. , Rattee, J. , Thacker, J. (2020) I, Sheep (A Filmpoem). [Video]
- Murjas, T. (2020) Performing the archive. University of Reading (Collection)
- Murjas, T. (2019) Between. [Performance]
- Murjas, T. (2019) I, Sheep.
- Murjas, T. (2019) Peeling onions with Granny: on being moved to collaborate. Performing Ethos , 9 (1). pp. 37-53. ISSN: 1757-1987 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/peet_00004_1
- Murjas, T. (2019) Staging displacement. University of Reading (Collection)
- Murjas, T. (2011) ‘I suggest a night at the theatre, Mr.Cameron’: memory, history and responsibility in our class (Nasza Klasa, 2009) . Contemporary Theatre Review , 21 (4). pp. 487-510. ISSN: 1477-2264 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10486801.2011.610307 (special issue 'Forum: Tim Crouch, the author, and the audience')
- Murjas, T. , eds. (2007) The morality of Mrs Dulska: a play by Gabriela Zapolska. In: Murjas, T. (eds.) Intellect Books , Bristol. pp 192. ISBN: 9781841501666
- Murjas, T. (2004) Bloomers ignite: Zolaesque zealotry in British productions of Miss Julie. Studies in Theatre and Performance , 24 (2). pp. 113-128. ISSN: 2040-0616 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/stap.24.2.113/0
- Murjas, T. (2004) Bring me the head of a greenfinch: Miss Julie in Britain. Studies in Theatre and Performance , 24 (1). pp. 37-54. ISSN: 2040-0616 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/stap.24.1.37/0
- Murjas, T. (2003) 'The Morality of Mrs Dulska' by Gabriela Zapolska. Translated and directed by Teresa Murjas.. [Performance]
- Murjas, T. (2003) Introduction. Double Tongue. Border Crossings Publications , London. ISBN: 9781904718017
- Murjas, T. (2003) Translating and directing Mrożek’s 'The Turkey' in London . Slavic and East European Performance , 23 (3). ISSN: 1047-0018