Mr Tim Renshaw
Lecturer in BA Art, PhD Art.
Module convenor for BA Art Studio 2.
Areas of interest
Tim's research interests are in the relationship painting has with the spaces of modern architecture. He also has research interests in building design that anticipate modern spatial design.
He is also interested in the idea and form of the notebook as a method of looking and thinking and in particular the idea that a note can be a speculative means to re-plan, un-plan and open up unintended potentials in an existing architectural form. Developing methods of un-planning through processes of painting and then thinking about what this may means for the relationship an embodied subject has with a space is an ongoing concern.
Tim is also part of the curatorial group Outside Architecture and is interested in the design of a group exhibition as a further means to un-plan an individual work.
Tim welcomes research proposals on: painting and architecture, contemporary formalism, embodied experience of architectural space, un-planning and indeterminacy as a practice.
Awards and honours
- 2007 Cocheme Fellowship, Byam Shaw School of Art
- 2002 London Arts Board Award
- 2002 Rome Abbey Fellowship
- 1997 Arts Council Purchase Award
- 1993-95 Winchester Fellowship.
- 2008 Images in the Vaguest Sense, V22 Ashwinstreet Gallery
- 2000 Lock-up, London1994"RSI", Winchester Gallery, Winchester* 1991 Battersea Arts Centre, London.
- 2008 same as it ever was… Art Space Gallery, London*
- 2007 Painting Unlimited, APT Gallery, London
- 2006 Transfer, Keith Talent Gallery, London*
- 2006 V22, Ashwin Street, London*
- 2006 V22, Clerkenwell, London
- 2005 Vine Space, London
- 2005CAS, Bloomberg, London
- 2005 Short Stories about Painting, Artspace Gallery, London*
- 2005 Ex Roma, APT Gallery London
- 2004 John Moores 23, Walker Art Gallery,Liverpool Biennale,Liverpool *
- 2003 Bad Touch, Keith Talent Gallery, London2003group show, Lump Gallery, Colerado, USA
- 2003 Painting Degree Zero, Keith Talent Gallery, London
- 2002 Public House, The Establishment, London
- 2002 The British School at Rome, Rome*
- 2001 Jerwood Painting Prize, The Jerwood, London*
- 2000 Incorporations Arts and Business, London
- 1998 Eliminate the Negative, Gasworks Gallery, London
- 1996 Gasworks Gallery, London.
(* indicates that a catalogue accompanied this exhibition)
- 2009 Turps 2, Galleria Marabini, Bologna, Italy
- 2009 Outside Architecture – collaborative curatorial project – Tim Renshaw, Bernice Donszelmann, Mary McLean, University of Greenwich, London
- 2009 Baroque Space, Keith Talent Gallery, London.
- Renshaw, T. (2018) What is Seen, What is Shown.
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Cosmic Laziness.
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Notebook, Wall, Curve C/Y & Notebook, Wall, Curve P/B.
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Phase 2 imagining architecture.
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Cosmic Laziness (Notebook Painting). University of Reading (Collection)
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Notebook Architecture. University of Reading (Collection)
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Notebook Formism. University of Reading (Collection)
- Renshaw, T. (2018) Plan Unplan (Outside Architecture Projects). University of Reading (Collection)
- Renshaw, T. (2013) John Wikins. Turps , 1 (13). pp. 14-21. ISSN: 1749-3994
- Renshaw, T. (2013) The perfect death - Horizons ( title of painting Horizon ).
- Butler, J. , Chapman, J. , Chapman, D. , Harding , A. , Harvey , M. , Hirst, D. , James, M. , Jones , P. , Krut, A. , Miller, H. , Renshaw, T. , Tait, N. , Valdes, C. (2009) Turps banana 2.
- Cooper, D. , Gourvil, O. , Krisanamis, U. , Renshaw, T. , Smith, D. , Suarez-Universal , V. (2009) Baroque reason.
- MacLean, M. , Renshaw, T. , Donszelmann, B. (2009) Outside architecture.