- Subject Leader in Secondary English ITT
- Module Leader EDM001 Developing Expertise in Teaching - MA Ed
Areas of interest
- Discourse in Education, particularly in ITT
- Transition between key stages
- The use of Media and Moving Image in the classroom
- Expertise in teaching
- Observation as part of ITT and CPD in education
- Teaching of writing at KS2 and 3
- Critical Conversations - Capturing the Impact of Evaluative Language in Mentor Meetings in Initial Teacher Training (EdD Thesis).
- Emerging models of expert teaching in the era of performance related pay in England: the views of Experienced Head Teachers and Deputies (with Professor Andy Goodwyn).
- Secondary English teachers' perspective of their subject.
- Language and Literacy in Education Research Group - UoR
Rachel has written and delivered numerous training resources and materials for commercial companies, focusing on English and Media/Film.
- BERA SiG member: English in Education
- Member of the National Association of Teachers of English ITE Committee
- Member of the National Association of Advisors for English
Forthcoming academic publications include:
- ‘Should there be a core curriculum for ITE? Five Go on an Epistemological Adventure’ (co-author), forthcoming
- ‘A “Godlike Science”: English Teaching in Secondary Schools’ in Ontologies of English, University of Cambridge Press, forthcoming
British Association for Applied Linguistics: (De)Constructing Englishes: Exploring the implications of ontologies of the language for learning, teaching, and assessment York St John University, Wed 24th - Fri 26th June 2015. Conference paper: 'A "Godlike Science": English Teaching in Secondary Schools'.
- Roberts, R. (2022) A critical overview of ITE in England. In: Goodwyn, A. , Manuel, J. , Roberts, R. , Scherff, L. , Sawyer, W. , Durrant, C. , Zancanella, D. , (eds.) International Perspectives on English Teacher Development. Routledge (334). , Abingdon, Oxon. pp. 79-92. ISBN: 9781003168140 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781003168140-9
- Roberts, R. (2019) English - the torch of life: reflections on the Newbolt Report from an ITE perspective. English in Education , 53 (3). pp. 211-222. ISSN: 0425-0494 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/04250494.2019.1657772