- Reviewer for System, Sage Open and TESOL Journal.
- Mentoring/Supporting Academic Visitors.
- Deputy Dean, NUIST-Reading Academy
- Programme Director: International Professional Development (at Secondary and Primary Levels)
- Managing and developing Chinese partnerships
Institute of Education
- Programme Co-Director: MA in English Language Education (in Guangdong) (a University of Reading award delivered in Guangdong University of Foreign Studies); contribution to the following modules: Academic English and Study Skills, Second Language Teaching and Learning, Research Methods in English Language Education, dissertation supervision
- Contribution to the Reading Researcher Development Programme (RRDP) at the Graduate School for the Social Sciences
- MA and PhD Supervision
Masters, PhD and EdD Level Supervision offered in these areas:
- Second language pedagogy
- Motivation and strategies in second language learning
- Professional development for second language teachers
- International education/Transnational Education (TNE)
- Intercultural communications
Current and Recent Research Students:
Current PhD and EdD (co-supervisor)
- Nazatul Syima Mohd Nasir - The International experience of Malaysian government funded PhD students in the UK.
- Julie Elizabeth (Beth) Richards-Bray - Can pre-departure activities impact positively on host-culture adjustment for sojourning students?
- Arjen de Korte - Teaching English grammar to Dutch students.
- Fang-I Chu - English learning motivation in a Taiwanese university context: A study of its dynamic nature from socio-dynamic perspectives.
- Zeynep Butun - English Instructors` Perspectives on a Needs-Based CPD Programme: An Action Research
Completed PhD (co-supervised)
- Winnie Qi Wu - Chinese postgraduate students' motivations, expectations and experiences regarding Higher Education in the UK: a case study of three British universities.
- Carrie Xiaorong Zhang - The impact of residential courses in the UK on the professional development of Chinese teachers of English in the western provinces of China.
- Lily Lei Ye - Exploring the multiple identities of Chinese student sojourner in the UK.
- Wei Ye - A longitudinal Study on the Identity Change of Confucius Institute Chinese Teachers in the UK.
- Yaqoub Alghatrify - An Investigation into the Colleges of Applied Sciences English Teachers' Perceptions of Professional Development in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Tomasz John - The international student journey: enhancing postgraduate students' experience.
- Sherry Jie Liu - Trilingual education of ethnic minority university students in China: a case study.
- 2017 A study into the oral learning environment experienced by students undertaking practical classes as part of a transnational educational (TNE) programme (ISLI-Chemistry joint research project funded by the International Development Fund of the UoR £12,000).
- 2015 Developing Intercultural Communication Competence (ICC) in an international professional development context (ISLI Teaching and Learning Development project £2,900.00).
- 2015-2016 Programme development through cross-programme collaboration (ISLI Teaching and Learning Development project £2600.00).
- 2010 The impact of training on the classroom practice of Chinese secondary teachers of English: Evaluation of a UK programme (£20,000, funded by British Council English Language Teaching Research Awards, jointly with Professor Viv Edwards).
- 2007 University of Reading RETF Small Grants Pump-Priming Awards (£1,400).
- IoE: Literacy and Language in Education (LLE)
- ISLI: SLA SIG
- Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism (CeLM)
- Cranwell, P. ORCID: 0000-0001-7156-5576 , Li, D. , Whiteside, K. , Woodcock, A. , Page, E. (2021) Understanding the barriers faced by TNE-students when completing advanced-level laboratory-based practical classes. International Journal of Chinese Education , 10 (3). ISSN: 2212-5868 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/22125868211046033
- Cranwell, P. ORCID: 0000-0001-7156-5576 , Li, D. , Page, E. , Whiteside, K. , Woodcock, A. (2021) A study into the challenges faced by transnational education students (TNE) upon integration into advanced STEM practical classes through investigation of the oral learning environment. In: Dippold, D. and Heron, M. , (eds.) Meaningful Teaching Interaction at the Internationalised University Moving From Research to Impact. Routledge , London. ISBN: 9780367350888
- Wilding, E. and Li, D. (2021) Staff development at a joint Sino-British institute in China. In: Tsiligiris, V. , Lawton, W. , Hill, C. , (eds.) Importing Transnational Education. Palgrave Macmillan pp. 137-153. ISBN: 9783030436469 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43647-6_9
- Edwards, V. and Li, D. (2016) Overseas training for Chinese teachers of English. In: Van Deusen-Scholl, N. and May, S. , (eds.) Second and foreign language education. Encyclopedia of Language and Education Springer , Switzerland. ISBN: 9783319023236 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-02323-6_21-1
- Li, D. and Edwards, V. (2013) The impact of overseas training on curriculum innovation and change in English language education in Western China. Language Teaching Research , 17 (4). pp. 390-408. ISSN: 1477-0954 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1362168813494124
- Li, D. (2012) Easing transition and promoting a positive student experience within an international partnership scheme for British and Chinese teachers. Journal of Research in International Education , 11 (1). pp. 32-49. ISSN: 1741-2943 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1475240911434338
- Li, D. (2012) Out of the ivory tower: the impact of wider social contact on the values, religious beliefs and identities of Chinese postgraduate students in the UK. Race, Ethnicity and Education , 12 (2). pp. 241-258. ISSN: 1470-109X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13613324.2011.585339
- Li, D. (2011) Confucius, constructivism and the impact of continuing professional development on teachers of English in China. British Council ISBN: 9780863556739
- Edwards, V. and Li, D. (2011) Confucius, constructivism and the impact of continuing professional development of teachers of English in China. British Council , Manchester. pp. 1-18. ISBN: 9780863556739
- Li, D. (2007) Coping with linguistic challenges in UK higher education: the use of strategies by Chinese research students. Language Learning Journal , 35 (2). pp. 205-219. ISSN: 1753-2167 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571730701599237
- Li, D. (2006) Motivation in second language acquisition in Chinese research students in the UK. Evaluation and Research in Education , 19 (1). pp. 38-58. ISSN: 1747-7514 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500790608668324